Brennan's Moving & Storage (MD)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
philip

Brennan's Moving & Storage (MD)

Postby philip » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:52 pm

Carrier Status: Active
Legal Name: BRENNAN'S MOVING & STORAGE INC
DBA Name:
Physical Address: 68 ALCO PLACE
BALTIMORE, MD 21227
Phone: (410) 242-5030
Mailing Address: 68 ALCO PLACE
BALTIMORE, MD 21227
USDOT Number: 977295 State Carrier ID Number:
MC or MX Number: DUNS Number: --
Power Units: 3 Drivers: 3
MCS-150 Form Date: 05/19/2003 MCS-150 Mileage (Year): 75,000 (2000)

Michael

Re: how about this one?

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:02 pm

They are not authorized to haul HHG as of yet, they are applying for their license. Thus no insurance info.

Is this just a local company Philip? And are they affiliated with anyone?

One thing I dont understand, they show 75,000 miles in 2000, but a MCS form date of May/2003? Maybe someone can read it and explain it better then I can.

Did you find any complaints on the BBB?
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:14 pm

Michael wrote:They are not authorized to haul HHG as of yet, they are applying for their license. Thus no insurance info.

Is this just a local company Philip? And are they affiliated with anyone?

One thing I dont understand, they show 75,000 miles in 2000, but a MCS form date of May/2003? Maybe someone can read it and explain it better then I can.

Did you find any complaints on the BBB?

they are a local company
don't know if affiliated with anyone
i guess i need to learn to check some of this info :(

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:52 pm

Check it out and get back to us, if we can find anything else, we will let you know. Did they have a website?
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Tanya

Postby Tanya » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi there. I hope this isn't against rules. I work at Brennan's, and had a customer call who was moving to Nevada (further than we go). She did not have internet access at the time, I was suggesting she try epinions.com to get an idea of what customers thought of the moving companies they had used. I did a search and gave her the ones with the most stars that had alot of reviews (was a little skeptical of ones with only 8 or so reviews). Anyway, while looking around there I can across someone who had posted a link in their review to this site. I did a search here out of curiosity to see if the company I work for was listed and found it was.

I wanted to let you know we do have a website www. and also an email if you have any questions. <snip>

I have only worked for the company for 4 years, but would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have, and if I can't answer them, I'll find someone here who can. Thank you.

Tanya

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:46 pm

I'm not sure why they couldn't find a license number in May of 2004, becuase I clearly see the Authority History listing a license on 8-9-2001.

Now, if you've "only worked for the company for four years", how long were they in business before you came along?

On your website, you have a link to an online estimate inventory list. Is this the oNLY way you give estimates? Do you ever perform in-home estimates? What is the general range of your moves (meaning what would be "too far", other than Nevada?)

I'm glad I have never heard any complaints about Brennen's.

Tanya

Postby Tanya » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:55 pm

They have been in business since 1979. Actually, I have known the owner for quite a while, my mom is the vice president of the company. I used to be a paralegal, came to work here when the lawyer I worked for retired.

The link to the "inventory form" on the website is what we use when people want to get a ballpark idea, or when they are moving on short notice (within a couple of days) and our schedule does not allow to have an estimator come out. We ALWAYS recommend that the best estimate is an on-site estimate, as there may be some items the owners take for granted are not a problem but that we would know require special handling. Also, quite often people tend to leave things off of the inventory, so an on-site estimate is best.

The majority of our moves are local, however we do long distance moves up and down the East Coast (North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, PA, DE, New Jersey, New York).

One thing to keep in mind though, depending on how much you have to be moved on a long distance move we may suggest it's not cost efficient to use our company. (Basically, if you have a small amount of items, it would be best to use another company. Our customers have exclusive use of our trucks, we do not "piggy back" loads, so if you have a small amount of items it woudln't be cost efficient to pay for us to travel so far and back when there are other companies who could do it at a better rate by combining their loads)

I hope this information helps, if you have any other questions please post them and I'll do my best to answer!

Tanya

Diane

Re: Brennan's Moving & Storage (MD)

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:13 pm

This is a link to the BBB report, which looks fine - http://www.baltimore.bbb.org/nis/newsea ... 0023010654

Who is the actual owner of the company, Tanya? I see that your mother (VP) is listed as the contact person on the BBB report.

How many trucks does the company have, and what type are they?

Tanya

Postby Tanya » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:22 pm

The owner of the company is Kevin Brennan. He and my mother used to work together at a furniture store years and years ago (he delivered furniture, lol) before it closed down. After that, he opened his own moving company.

My mom is Sherry Parker, she is the Vice President. His son, Jeffrey Brennan, just joined the company as well.

We currently have (3) 26' straight trucks, and 3 full time crews (about 11 employees not counting the office staff). I hope this info. helps!

One thing I'd like to say is the Kevin takes alot of pride in the company, he should since it's his name on it. We track how our customers hear of us, and last year we cut WAY back on advertising (it is VERY expensive), because we learned that about 70% of our business came from referrals from our previous clients! We are very committed to customer satisfaction and I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to explain a little about the company here. Thank you.

Tanya

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:36 pm

Your company looks good to me, Tanya, and I changed the topic heading to make it easier for people to find information on your company.

First question. You mentioned contacting the state AG's office for information about moving companies. In your case (MD), what is the contact information for that office in case people want to call it to find out about you?

Second question (you might have to ask someone about this). When you use straight trucks on interstate highways, they don't have air-ride suspension, right? Is that as hard on people's things as the spring-ride suspension in ABF freight trailers, for example? I ask because I've always been told that air-ride suspension is the best and I don't believe that straight trucks are air-ride.

Tanya

Postby Tanya » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:47 pm

The number for the State's Attorneys Consumer Protection Hotline is 410-576-8662. I believe that is the number you would need to call to inquire about any local company and whether or not they have had complants filed against them.

I asked Jeffrey, one of the owners, about the air ride suspension. He stated that you are correct, straight trucks can not be equipped with air ride suspension (except for the front part where the men sit), the box part of the truck does not have air ride suspension, it has leaf springs? But he stated that with proper packing and care it should not pose a problem to moving customer's items.

I just wanted to add, the reason we use straight trucks is because alot of the moves we do are residential, and straight trucks prove best for manuevering on residential streets. Additionally, some of the retirement communities we work with have restrictions that don't allow anything bigger than a 26' straight truck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:01 pm

OK - I am also asking other companies about leaf springs. I don't know whether they are the same or different from ABF's springs which we always tell people are inferior to the air-ride in tractor trailers used by major van lines.

I can certainly understand how straight trucks would make more sense for your small business, besides being much less expensive than TTs.

What type of storage facility do you have or is it rented mini-storage? Your website says it is heated. I am thinking that you might be able to help out this poor soul who is stranded in Baltimore - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4747

Could she at least call you for general advice?

Tanya

Postby Tanya » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:44 pm

We have two storage facilities, 66 Alco Place and 68 Alco Place, both in Baltimore, 21227. Our office is located at 68 Alco Place.

They are both huge warehouses, heated and alarmed. We don't have climate control - I know that's a frequent question - for things like pianos, they are stored in the office part of the building, not in the warehouse part.

Customer's items when brought into storage are inventoried and labeled, then placed into crates (5 x 7 x 7 1/2 feet).

I'll check the link you posted and see if it's something we can help her out with, if not we might know of someone who can.

Return to “Open Community”