Roadrunner Moving and Storage in Boston, MA ... any info?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
heath17

Roadrunner Moving and Storage in Boston, MA ... any info?

Postby heath17 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:36 pm

Hi I am moving from Boston to Dallas and think I want to use Roadrunner Moving and Storage. Does anyone have any info on, or experience with, this company?

thanks!

BigLeeCalif

Re: Roadrunner Moving and Storage in Boston, MA ... any info

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:24 pm

We need their DOT and MC # and we can do a search

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

heath17

Postby heath17 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:43 pm

I called and asked them for those numbers

MC #: 29262
DOT #: 508618

They also volunteered their ICC number (259896) and the phone number of their insurance company when I asked for the MC and DOT numbers.

Thanks for your help.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:06 pm

I found them listed at the FMCSA Safer Web site, as being current, and holding BIPD insurance for $750,000, and $5,000 cargo...

The only thing that disturbs me is many cancellations, and reinstatements with other companies for cargo and primary insurance.

Their BIPD is currently with Vanliner, who is well known in the moving industry.

Another flag is that their operating authority was involuntarily cancelled on 9/24/2001, and was not reinstated till 5/07/2004.

The last flag is FMCSA site shows that a bond is required to be posted by Roadrunner and no bond is on file.

To be honest, I don't like the way that report played out in my observation.

Try this link for finding a mover...

http://www.movingscam.com/news/findmover.shtml

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:46 pm

Ehh, I dunno. They don't seem too scary to me. In business for a while. Maybe they stopped doing long distance runs during those three years off. Ask them about it, if you feel you need an answer. No BBB complaints.

However, and this is what affects you the most, no company with only 6 trucks can possibly move you from Boston to Dallas. It's too far to lose one-sixth of a fleet for one person's goods. In our experience here, such moves are often subcontracted out.

If you were moving locally, I'd say they may be worth a shot, but I think you need to look elsewhere. Find a post by Diane and click on the link in her signature line, and you can also read the article linked to at the top left of this page, with the 8) .

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:29 pm

The Roadrunner in Boston posted a while back that they are NOT affiliated with the scam company or companies in CA and TX. Their DOT number is different and Tim said they looked OK to him. All this is on this old thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2562

However, I agree with MM that it's best not to use a small company with only 6 trucks for a move of this distance.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

heath17

Postby heath17 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:43 am

Thanks for all the advice.

As far as the size of the company goes, they say they never contract out, and that they already have a load going to the same area at the same time. The guys I have spoken with have been very open about how many bad moving companies are out there, they even recommended this site to me. I am not saying they couldn't be trying to scam... but it just feels like a good company to me. That being said I don't want to do something stupid, which is why I am here.

They claim that something like 80% of their business is repeat customers or referrals, and that they (two men, both of whom I have spoken with) have been in business for 18 years or so.

The other reason I am inclined to go with them is that their estimate seems just right at $2600. I had a quote from Carmel Movers (I know, bad company, I realized after I got the quote) for $1300 which seemed absurd, and from Gentle Giant (a very reputable company that my move is a little small for) for $4700, which is outside my budget. Other online estimates (I know, it was a bad call to start online, but I have gone back and started over with the phone book, as advised) ranged from $1500 to $2400.

Another reason I liked this company is that apparently the Boston Business Journal rated them one of the top 25 largest moving companies in Boston. Does this mean anything to you all?

Any more advice?

Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:32 pm

Heath,

I just put a call in to someone who knows the Boston moving scene to ask what he thinks about Roadrunner doing such a long distance move. He said that he knows the owner and he thinks the company is OK. Initially he was skeptical about the low price but when I told him that the company has another shipment scheduled for the same area he said that the price was OK in that case.

As for its being chosen as one of the top 25 whatevers, that sounds good on the surface but I'm not sure what the criteria were, and 25 is a pretty large number! The website name of www.roadrunnerworldwide.com seems a little grandiose as well. But the guy I was talking with said that any company can do an international shipment now and then. That's marketing!

I guess in view of what my informant said, I would say, cautiously, that you would be safe going ahead with this company.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:34 pm

I find it hard to believe they are among the largest moving companies in Boston with only 6 trucks showing.

A decent sized company has anywhere from 10 - 15 trucks before they ever consider going interstate.

Most local companies that don't perform interstate moves can have from 6 - 10 trucks after being in business 10 yrs at least.

Our concern is this company has no van line affilliation, so what happens if the truck breaks down halfway between your origin and destination? Will the driver have to rent another truck, or will he have to wait for instructions and hope the company credit is good enough to have whatever needs to be done accomplished.

The advantage, if moving with a moving company, to a van line is that they have agencies in most major areas, and can always be assisted. And if it is a catastrophic truck failure, at least the shipment can be off loaded and re routed without too much delay.

With an independent, you lost that capability.

Lee

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:27 pm

I just had a long conversation with one of the guys from Roadrunner. He said that while they only have 6 of their own trucks, they rent others through the busy season, they have 10 guys, and an additional 11 helpers in the peak seasin. They apparently do many long distance moves, and have actually moved a few people to Texas in the last few months. Apparently one of the people who loads generally stays with the move until the unloading. He also said that they are one of only 5 companies in Boston that really do not subcontract. I also asked him about the operating authority being cancelled, and he said that that is not them, but the other Roadrunner company which has now gone underground. I think I am going to go with them, since he was able to answer all the questions I had, and he was so open about describing exactally how they do business, as well as how some of the more disreputable companies (without directly badmouthing anyone specific) do things. Given all this, does this sound like a smart move?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:42 pm

I've stated my opinion that I think they are OK. You've addressed one of my lingering concerns--who they would find to help unload. If you go with them, please come back to report. I want to add them to my list of MA movers.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:59 pm

I will definitely report back. I just have a really good feeling about these guys, hopefully I wont feel like a jerk come August when the move happens. Thanks again for all the advice. This is a bit premature I know, but this site saved me from giving a lot of money to a bad company, and I really appreciate that.

heath17

Postby heath17 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:28 am

Hi all.

I am happy to report that Roadrunner Moving and Storage Inc. in Boston, MA is AWESOME. I was not there for the pickup, but my parents (whose house I was moving out of) said the 4 guys that came were prompt, efficient, and friendly. The guy who just dropped off my stuff was super friendly and helpful, right on time, and also very efficient. There was no change in price from my in home estimate, and they didnt even require a deposit when they picked up my stuff. Everything was present and accounted for, and as far as I can tell before unpacking, nothing was damaged in transit. I highly recommend this moving company to anyone out there. They answered all my many questions beforehand and were very open about how they do things. I trusted them from the first time I spoke with them, and I was not disappointed.

-Heather

MusicMom

Re: *Roadrunner Moving and Storage in Boston, MA ... any inf

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Thank you for reporting back!

Diane

Re: *Roadrunner Moving and Storage in Boston, MA ... any inf

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:39 am

Yes - thanks, Heather, and I added Roadrunner-MA to my summary post linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”