AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
coontie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:19 pm

AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby coontie » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Here's my horror story about moving from Brooklyn to NC:

Redball: What a bunch of incompetent shmoes! Their sales lady -- Michelle is all nice & slick (she works for DnR). Talks for hours non stop, would sell you a pair of skis in Sahara. Fine, bought into her shpiel. Quotes $3100, non binding. Whatever. Mayflower quoted 3500 (man, how sorry I am for not going with them.) ANYWAY:

Movers show up late. 3 bumblers, 1 on a cell phone at all times. 30 min into the deal, they break a glass table. OK. takes them 5 hrs to move a small 1 bedroom apt. Fine. They say "2-10days". OK. I drive to NC, wait for them there.

9 days later -- "Eh, a driver quit and we've no more drivers. We're estimating the 26th as the new delivery." Fine. I'm thinking, screw this sleeping on the floor deal, I'm going back to Brooklyn (still have my lease on the old apt + an air mattress.)

4 more days of non-stop phone calls. Finally they hire some other company altogether -- Coral Springs Moving, FL. OK. I tell redball -- I'm not going to be in NC until Sunday, you must wait until then. Fine, they say no problem. OK. On Friday, Coral Springs takes it outta the warehouse, loads it up, goes to NC. Great! The driver calls me, says "Uh.. I'm in NJ, how do I get to NC?" ARE YOU KIDDING?? Fine. I go to mapquest, give him directions. Calls back again, I lost 3 tires & brakes, I'll be late. Whatever (I'm still in NYC -- what do I care, I'm flying to NC on Saturday).

Saturday morning, phone call. "Uh, this is me, I'm here in NC. Where are you?" I go - "are you for real?? I'm in NYC!!!" Then I'm thinking, fine. I waited so long, who cares, tell him to go ahead and start unloading, got the apt mgr to open the apt. Calls back in a few hrs -- "Uh, your table is cracked and it was cracked in NYC already." OK.

Finally, I got here to NC to inspect this, a day after this "move."

OH. MY. GOD.

Boxes everywhere. I faxed these momos a clear outline where everything goes -- FORGET IT. NOTHING is put together. The huge dining room table is upside down on the floor, with a cracked leg next to it. No screws anywhere. The side table is upside down, glass top nowhere to be found. Everything is dirty & and caked in dust. The bedroom dresser is chipped off. Dirt, dust, papers, boxes, disassembled furniture everywhere.

AND FOR THIS I PAID $3k???? Are you joking???

People! Avoid Redball like the plague. Avoid DnR. Avoid Coral Springs Moving. They are nothing but a bunch of criminals. I rue the day I got involved with these people. I'm so pissed off, I can barely type this.

I'm going to call tomorrow & ask for a 100% refund. If not, I'm calling Visa to reverse the charges. I've had enough of these people.

Diane
Posts: 15824
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:18 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:32 pm

I just want to be sure which company you are talking about. Do you have an address for D & R? The one I've heard of is in Oceanside. Does the following sound familiar?
I decided to call over to the Red Ball located by me, and asked them about the company, she told me that she and her husband have been with the company for 16 years and gave me 2 phone numbers of ones in NY that have been around for a while. The one is D & R Moving 800-628-6683 or 516-678-2732 contact: Danny. The next one is Lounge Craft 718-784-8585 She said that if they can't help you, they will give you a number to the agent closest to you. They seem to be in good with the moving industry, Red Ball is a member of AMSA. Being as I was ripped off by a mover, and if I needed to hire a mover again, I would probably check into moving with this company, I felt very comfortable with her.

Coral Springs Moving is already on our Avoid list. You're sure it was Coral Springs Moving and not Coral Springs Van Lines, right?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

coontie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby coontie » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:10 pm

Diane wrote:I just want to be sure which company you are talking about. Do you have an address for D & R? The one I've heard of is in Oceanside. Does the following sound familiar?
I decided to call over to the Red Ball located by me, and asked them about the company, she told me that she and her husband have been with the company for 16 years and gave me 2 phone numbers of ones in NY that have been around for a while. The one is D & R Moving 800-628-6683 or 516-678-2732 contact: Danny. The next one is Lounge Craft 718-784-8585 She said that if they can't help you, they will give you a number to the agent closest to you. They seem to be in good with the moving industry, Red Ball is a member of AMSA. Being as I was ripped off by a mover, and if I needed to hire a mover again, I would probably check into moving with this company, I felt very comfortable with her.


YES!!! That is them!!

Michelle Caron is their "sales consultant."

3670-6 w oceanside Rd
oceanside NY 11572
Coral Springs Moving is already on our Avoid list. You're sure it was Coral Springs Moving and not Coral Springs Van Lines, right?


pretty sure... The boss's name is Bob (of Coral Springs Moving.)

The number for Coral springs is:

Coral Springs Moving Storage, (954) 752-7366, 12090 NW 40th St, Coral Springs, FL 33065

Bob's the manager over there. Real pushy, "pay now or you get nothing" type a guy.

Diane
Posts: 15824
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:18 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:58 pm

Bob Murphy. (He always seemed so nice when he was communicating with ME. But this isn't the first time we've heard bad things about Coral Springs Moving.)

Thanks for the clarification. I've updated my listings of the two companies to warn people.

coontie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:19 pm

Re: AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby coontie » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:34 pm

Diane wrote:Bob Murphy. (He always seemed so nice when he was communicating with ME. But this isn't the first time we've heard bad things about Coral Springs Moving.)

Thanks for the clarification. I've updated my listings of the two companies to warn people.


Well, to be honest, Coral Springs is not entirely to blame here. They are at fault because they took advantage of my absense and just dumped crap all over the place, assembling nothing. D&R is at fault because their movers are just some scumbags that load stuff up not caring which way what goes. Redball is at fault because they're the ones who told me "the driver quit, no more drivers." Redball did pay for the small side table they busted during the load, I'll give them that. They also "paid" for the airfare back to Brooklyn.( I put it in quotes because the airfare was $500 whereas the claims agent Steve said they will only cover reasonable hotel/food expenses for 4 days, at $120 per day, so he knocked off $480 off the bill.) They did NOT pay for taxi to/from airport in NC ($140), to/from LGA ($100) or the 2 week rent that I ended up paying for nothing.

Basically, all 3 are to be avoided at all costs.

Guest

Re: AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:14 pm

coontie wrote:
Diane wrote:Bob Murphy. (He always seemed so nice when he was communicating with ME. But this isn't the first time we've heard bad things about Coral Springs Moving.)

Thanks for the clarification. I've updated my listings of the two companies to warn people.


Well, to be honest, Coral Springs is not entirely to blame here. They are at fault because they took advantage of my absense and just dumped crap all over the place, assembling nothing. D&R is at fault because their movers are just some scumbags that load stuff up not caring which way what goes. Redball is at fault because they're the ones who told me "the driver quit, no more drivers." Redball did pay for the small side table they busted during the load, I'll give them that. They also "paid" for the airfare back to Brooklyn.( I put it in quotes because the airfare was $500 whereas the claims agent Steve said they will only cover reasonable hotel/food expenses for 4 days, at $120 per day, so he knocked off $480 off the bill.) They did NOT pay for taxi to/from airport in NC ($140), to/from LGA ($100) or the 2 week rent that I ended up paying for nothing.

Basically, all 3 are to be avoided at all costs.


Just to give an update: Redball is sending people to repair the table & to put the furniture together. Looks like Redball may turn out to be OK after all.. We'll see. They only have 1 complaint @ BBB, so they actually care about the reputation. Who knows?

DANDR MOVING
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby DANDR MOVING » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:07 pm

This is an answer to Coontie and his/her fowl remarks concerning my Company and American Red Ball. The language used on a public web site basically tells you what type of person this is.

American Red Ball has been in business since 1919 and I have been an agent for almost thirty years. In that time I could count the complaints on two hands.

This person was given an estimate by a very competant sales woman. Estimate-4999 lbs. at $2889.50. Actual weight 4880 lbs, charges $2830.70. $58.00 less than the estimate!

The shipment moved during the busiest month of the year for movers, though I am not making excuses for the late delivery. Sometimes these things happen, and when they do, we try our best to make our shippers whole, within Federal guidelines.

The damage claim is being settled, but Coontie is not happy with the $500.00 deductible being applied, which is something they chose of their own volition.

The complaint about it taking five hours to load is ludicrous. Average time to load is 1000# per hour. Add the fact that this was an elevator building and there was some packing required, this was a reasonable time.

Diane
Posts: 15824
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:18 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: AVOID: Redball and D&R moving and storage

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:39 pm

We try to be fair on this website. The Superlist has a notation that you contest the bad report and have compensated the customer for most of what he claimed. Also that you have been doing interstate moves for almost 20 years and that you have only 2 BBB complaints over the past 36 months as of now.


Return to “Report A Scam”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest