*Estimate Question

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AOF

*Estimate Question

Postby AOF » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:32 pm

I am moving from Columbus, OH to Ithaca, NY and am about ready to go with Advance Moving Company (NY DOT: T32045, MC - 447632).

I just wanted to get a sense of if there are more questions I should be asking.

They have a contract with my future employer and will be doing the move themself. I have a 2 bedroom townhouse and received a guaranteed price of $2210.00. This was the best quote I got from 4 companies.

Included in this is loading, unloading, .60 per pound valuation and any possible destination, long carries, stairs, elevators or shuttles. I live on a narrow street and the other companies all indicated the need for a shuttle.

The binding estimate of cost thet sent didn't give that much info, only a cost of services based on tariff HGB of 412. They didn't specify how many pounds they estimated my townhouse at.

Is there anything else I need to know? Does this sound fishy?

This is my first move and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. I have checked out their DOT and MC numbers, no huge red flags except a lack of histories regarding inspections. They do contract directly with my employer, so that makes me feel better.

Should I purchase increased valuation?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Best,
Anne

Diane

Re: Estimate Question

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi - I was kind of surprised to see that they're located in Ithaca. Most people choose a moving company located in the place they're moving from. But if this company has a contract with your future employer (Cornell?) I would say that they're pretty safe to go with. They look OK on www.safersys.org, as you say. They are a Bekins agent and are using the Bekins 412 tariff which is different from the 400N tariff used by most other van lines - that's probably why their quote was different from your other ones. Possibly they won't have to use a shuttle because they plan to use a smaller truck than the other companies. Their website at www.advancemoving.com says that they are military-approved, which I understand is usually a sign of high quality.

I'm not sure about purchasing increased valuation coverage. Sometimes it is provided free with company-paid moves, if that's what you have. Moving industry people who post here usually advise people to buy it. Please let us know how the move goes so we can add to our reviews.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MWalker

Re: *Estimate Question

Postby MWalker » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:39 am

Are you, or the company paying for the move, self-insured? If not, I would suggest purchasing the coverage from the carier.

If not, you have little recourse against the carrier should you have damage to your goods.

.60/lb/article works like this - a 100 lb television, even though it cost $1200, you would receive $60 if the carrier drops the TV.

A 10 lb dining chair, cost $125, you would get $6 if it is crushed.

You can see, $.60/lb/article is minimal at best.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:41 am

One other thing to inquire about is that if this company has a contract with your future employer, they also might have contract rates in effect.

Ask the traffic manager or relocation manager whether they are operating under their tariff exception rates, or contract rates.

Just the fact that they have a contract with this Bekins agent doesn't mean that your relocation will be at contract rates, especially if you're paying out of pocket.

The advantage to you is that if you are aware of their relationship, and they don't give you a satisfactory relocation, then you obviously will complain to your employer, who might use that as a negative factor during contract renewal time.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:59 am

I live on a narrow street and the other companies all indicated the need for a shuttle.

Have you asked the preferred carrier if they are also figuring a shuttle in their cost. If not how are they avoiding the shuttle fee?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:35 am

The distance is less than 500 mi so they might be planning on bobtail all the way.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”