HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / The Moving Connection

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
arizonaone

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / The Moving Connection

Postby arizonaone » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:23 pm

I had found The movinG Connection in Saddlebrook, NJ in my local phone book. After speaking with the sales rep she advised of the price, sent me a quote via email and asked for a $200 deposit to reserve the space. At no time did the sales rep advise that the deposit was NONREFUNDABLE nor did the paragraph at the bottom of the quote advise that the deposit was NONREFUNDABLE. At the time I didn't realize that asking for a deposit up front was illegal and gave them the deposit on a bank credit card. This was on 6/24/06. On Tuesday (6/27) morning I called the company to tell them I wanted to cancel and wanted my deposit refunded. The CSR told me all deposits are nonrefundable. I advised that I never signed the quote or any contract (which was never presented to me anyway), and that by law I have 3 business days to cancel. A sidenote here - every other company I called said that you could cancel a move within 72 hours before the move date with no penalty.

The CSR would not budge and I asked for the manager or owner. The owner gets on the phone and I tell her the same thing. With that she starts screaming at me advising that "so you want to cancel the move because you found someone cheaper and you want my company to pay" And also "You took away the opportunity got me to book someone else in your slot"

This is the best part. She then stated that her refund policy was stated on their tariff filed with the state. Because of that she will need to go to them to get permission to give me a refund. She then promptly hung up on me.

Not only do I not believe her her explanation is ludacrous. Curiously she is a member in satisfactory standing with the BBB and I don't know how she thinks she can get away with this.

I have called my bank and filed a dispute. They need to investigate. I cannot afford to be out my $200 and don't know what to do. Any suggestions??? What about if I showed up at their offices in person?

Thank you so much for your help with this.

MusicMom

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / The Moving Connection

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:01 pm

If you ran it as a credit card and not a debit, it works like a credit card. Call the number on the back of the card and dispute the charges, since the non-refundable policy was not in writing on your correspondance, and nowhere accessible to you, the consumer. They then have to prove they are entitled to keep the money, which may be hard to do unles they can prove that you were well-informed of the non-refundable policy.

Incidentally, deposits aren't illegal, although they are often a huge waving red flag of a bad mover (a few exceptions are noted in major metropolitan areas), and cancellation policies aary between 3 days and two weeks, depending on the company.

arizonaone

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / The Moving Connection

Postby arizonaone » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 am

Thank you for your help with this. I have also filed complaints with the BBB as well as the FMCSA. Hopefully this will work.

Return to “Open Community”