Moving Company not to use.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PhoKod

Moving Company not to use.

Postby PhoKod » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:05 pm

Whatch out for: Raymar Movers in Frederick, MD.
My wife and I are both senior citizens and the two of us moved locally within Maryland; from Frederick to Harford County (average of less than 90 miles). We stored or belongings for a weekend with Raymar of which several cartons of valuables were never delivered with the move. Upon trying to settle what turnedout to be a difficult lenthy few month's dispute, my wife and I were literally forced to accept a settlement that resulted in our tremendus loss. Furthermore, During the move itself, two of the four movers were scheming to con us out of several items that they wanted for themselves. Adding to our frustration, as if a move isn't frustrating enough, was the fact that I had contracted for five man and a trailer truck in order to save time and insure that everything would fit in. But, on the day of the move two small van/trucks arrived with only four men and one wasn't a full timer he was a "Shape-up" worker. Because, of this my wife and I had to leave many items behind, which truly upset my wife. Considering the entire situation, while I fully realize that it could have been much worse, our experiece with Raymar was none the less a total nightmare.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Moving Company not to use.

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm sorry that you had a less than successful move.

You said that you and your wife were
literally forced to accept a settlement that resulted in our tremendus loss.

Did you purchase any type of valuation?

If you have any of their documents, can you see if a DOT or MC Number is shown, or a Maryland Operating permit number. I searched Saferweb but nothing came up for Raymar Movers or Raymar Moving & Storage.

There are known scam companies operating in Maryland.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:26 pm

I also can't find anything. Can you tell us their phone number, address, or some other information so I can look them up? We want future customers to avoid going through your move.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 am

There is a Ramar who is a United Agent in MD. I would suspet it was them and the owner is Howard Levine who is normally a reasonable guy. Try calling and asking to chat with him or contact United customer service in Fenton, MO.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:30 pm

That makes sense, thank you.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:38 pm

I just checked the United agency listing and this is what I find....

FREDERICK
RAMAR MOVING SYSTEMS, INC.
28-B THOMAS JOHNSON DRIVE
FREDERICK, MD 21702
Telephone: (301) 694-3366
Fax: (301) 620-4361
Toll Free: (800) 925-6683
http://www.ramarmoving.com

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:41 pm

Is everybody positive that they are a United agent? Someone had told me that they were Mayflower.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:46 pm

I checked the United website Diane...

They are listed as United agents.

Lee

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 pm

Wow... I just found this out too....

I didn't know my old company has expanded East.

UPPER MARLBORO
CHIPMAN RELOCATIONS
400 COMMERCE DRIVE COLLINGTON CORP. CENTER
UPPER MARLBORO, MD 20774-8747
Telephone: (301) 390-9400
Fax: (301) 390-4322
Toll Free: (888) 638-0204
http://www.chipmancorp.com
dc@chipmancorp.com

Lee

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:55 pm

Ramar is also listed on the Mayflower website as a Mayflower agent, so I guess they are a dual agent or else there are two closely-related companies. This is from the Ramar website, which claims that the company is "woman-owned" by the way:

A bit of history about The RAMAR Companies………

On April 15, 1987, Mary and Howard Levine opened Ramar Moving Systems in Frederick, MD with a 5,000 square foot warehouse, 3 trucks, and a dream. The Ramar Companies are truly a family run business. Even the Ramar name is a testament to the Levine's family values. "RA" is short for Daughter Rachel, and "MAR" is short for Son Mark. Today both Rachel and Mark are involved in the day to day operations and management of the business.

Within 6 years, Ramar had moved into their new building, gained Military approval, and was servicing National Account, residential, and Government business.

In late 1999, Ramar branched out into the 3rd Proviso side of the industry coordinating and hauling trade shows, delicate electronics, fine arts, etc. Ramar Vice President Howard Levine has extensive experience managing 3rd Proviso and Industrial customers and projects, and was instrumental in developing this commercial side of the business. In 1999, Ramar also became a shareholding agent, which opened up opportunities to service Ramar customers with Ramar drivers and equipment – with 48 state hauling authority.

During 2000, Ramar also became a Mayflower agent, which is when Ramar Transportation and Logistics was born.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:13 pm

You're right Diane...

A lot of agents are dual agencies of Mayflower/United.

The agency agreement with Unigroup requires that each office be run separately, and staffed separately as well.

While sales staff commonly agree not to compete, they often will share info on shippers that might be leaning toward another agency.

I checked Mayflower's web site, and sure enough you're correct.

I also found another Mayflower agent that I have always admired...

Joe Moholland in Woodbridge, VA...

Lee

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:29 pm

What information do you know about Joe Moholland?? Good, bad, trustworthy...

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:42 pm

People in the industry posting here have said that Joe Moholland in Woodbridge, VA is "very solid." See this post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1633#61633
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:42 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Wow... I just found this out too....

I didn't know my old company has expanded East.

UPPER MARLBORO
CHIPMAN RELOCATIONS
400 COMMERCE DRIVE COLLINGTON CORP. CENTER
UPPER MARLBORO, MD 20774-8747
Telephone: (301) 390-9400
Fax: (301) 390-4322
Toll Free: (888) 638-0204
http://www.chipmancorp.com
dc@chipmancorp.com

Lee

Yes, Chipman bought the old agent "Greenmount" in MD and Armstrong bought the old agent "Greenmount" in Orlando.

The MD facility is a nice facility, when I worked for Greenmount a few years back I spent a week there. Should be a good location for Chipman and I think this occurred a few months back - so they should be settled in by now. The FL facility was a little small regarding warehouse space, so Armstrong quickly changed to a new location in the same business park with more space.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Return to “Open Community”