REVIEW: Detroit to Raleigh with Corrigan

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Eric

REVIEW: Detroit to Raleigh with Corrigan

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:48 pm

I just got my internet up an running and wanted to post my review of my recent move with Corrigan from the Detroit area to the Raleigh area. We moved from a second floor two bedroom apartment in suburban Detroit to a three bedroom townhome in suburban Raleigh.

ESTIMATE--Nancy from the Auburn Hills location came out and gave us an estimate in late April. Her estimate was $2,904.54 for 5,171 lbs. including packing the mattresses, a large mirror and framed picture, and having the driver deliver and assemble the wardrobe boxes (we would pack them ourselves, though), and full replacement with $250 deductible. Nancy was very helpful and was always quick to return my phone calls when I had questions.

LOADING--Our load day was scheduled for Friday, June 23 with Saturday as a back up day. I received a call on Thursday morning from our coordinator to tell us that the truck would not be there until Saturday. My wife and I were a little releived and decided to relax that morning and resume our packing later that afternoon. At about 4:30 PM on Thursday we received a call from Chris, our driver, telling us he would be able to load us on Friday afterall. My wife and I immediately went into panic-mode as we still had most of the kitchen, the master bedroom, and about half the living room to pack. He said he wouldn't be there til Friday afternoon so we stayed up late that night and got up really early on Friday to finish packing. I sealed the last box at exactly 11:55 AM on Friday. The truck showed up at about 2:00 PM and Chis and his helper got right to work. It took them about three hours to get everything loaded. When he saw the mirror and the picture I was planning to have packed, he said they was small enough to be pad wrapped and that would save us about $60. Also there was some foul-up with the paperwork for the wardrobe boxes and we ended up getting them for free! Our delivery spread was June 26-June 30 but he said he wouldn't be able to get it to us until July 1st because of another household heading to Raliegh that wouldn't be loaded onto the truck until the following Wednesday. Since he just saved us over $100 in packing and boxes, I wasn't going to get too upset about having to wait a day longer than I planned. Plus, my credit card had already been approved and I was signing so many forms, he could have let the screwed up paperwork on the wardrobe cartons slideby and I wouldn't have known any difference. The fact that he pointed it out and removed those charges on his own initiative really shows what kind of company Corrigan is.

DELIVERY--His other load going to Raleigh got canceled at the last minute so we got our stuff on Thursday rather than on Saturday. He ended up having to move our stuff to a different trailer to accomodate a different load he was delivering to Virginia after dropping our stuff off. He arrived with two helpers from Armstrong here in Raliegh and they got the truck unloaded in about two hours. There was some breakage but it was minor--a floor lamp worth about $30 and a particle board bookshelf that we got on clearance for $12 were broken and they tore the back of our mattress brining it up the stairs, but it is a very small tear and it is a pillow top mattress that doesn't get flipped, so it isn't a big deal. Chris insisted that we document everything even though I told him I wouldn't be filing a claim (our dedcutible was $250). I saw they had a very difficult time getting the mattress up the stairs, but I had no idea that it had been torn until Chris pointed it out (and I wouldn't have known unitl we move again, either)--again, I think this says a lot about what kind of company Corrigan is. Our final weight came out to 4,660 and our final bill was $2702.63, $200 lower than our estimate.

Overall I was very happy with the service we received from Corrigan and would highly recommend them.

By the way for anybody who does move with Corrigan--their prices for new boxes are very reasonable. I had bought a bunch from them but we ran out of small cartons. I didn't have time to drive all the way over to Corrigan (about a 15 min drive) so I went to the U Haul store that was right around the corner from me. The U Haul store charges almost double what Corrigan charges (plus Corrigan will carry them out and load them into your car for you). I was dealing with the location in Auburn Hills which is on Featherstone just down the street from the Silverdome, but they also have a Farmington Hills location in one of the industrial complexes (you can see it from I-275). According to the sides of their boxes they also have locations in Ann Arbor, Bay City, Dearborn, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Novi; Chicago, IL; Rochester, NY; and Toledo, OH.

If anyone in the Raliegh area needs some used boxes, send me a PM.
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

Diane

Re: REVIEW: Detroit to Raleigh with Corrigan

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:03 pm

Thanks so much for this very detailed report, Eric, and for your PM. I'm glad the move went so well.

What I take away from this is that good communications and honesty go a long way to make customers happy. Your shipment had to be transferred from one trailer to another and in the process (probably) you had a little damage, but this was trivial when weighed against the driver's not charging you for the wardrobe boxes and telling you about the mattress tear when he didn't have to. Corrigan lived up to its reputation as an excellent company.

mov1

Postby mov1 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:58 am

Good move because the customer went with a bricks and mortar mover who was local. Consumers need to buy in their home city from folks who live and do business there. Companies that are members of the local chamber of commerce. Your chances of a good move are better when you buy local and not with a INTERNET no name or sound like a big mover name.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:08 pm

Those are the types of reviews we like.

I hope you will take a few moments and send a note to Corrigan as well.

Movers do work hard, and attaboy letters sure go a long way with them, and it also is considered when the company awards driver of the quarter, and year.

And to the guest.. I have seen you post in several forums... Please don't overwork the bold font.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:27 pm

I agree with both suggestions. Eric, naming the driver in your letter would be good. I've added your excellent review to my summary post on Michigan movers.

Return to “Open Community”