Prepare Large 7 Feet Glass Curio for Long Distance Move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Beagle

Prepare Large 7 Feet Glass Curio for Long Distance Move

Postby Beagle » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:25 pm

My family and I are attempting our first self service move from Omaha, NE to Shreveport, LA towards the end of July. We have a large curio cabinet with 5 glass shelves. Any suggestion on how to prepare it for moving with the least amount of risk for breakage?

BigLeeCalif

Re: Prepare Large 7 Feet Glass Curio for Long Distance Move

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 pm

do the glass shelves come out?

If so those can be secured in mirror cartons.

I would suggest that you pm michael, or Nancy who might be able to assist you in deciding how to secure it for transport.

I might possibly shrink wrap it, and then pad wrap it on top of the shrink wrap. Some might think it is over padding, but sometimes more is better than not enough
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:57 pm

Besides packing the selfs. If the wall and door glass peaces are flimsly locked into place you should aslo pack those. But that is not as important as packing the shelfs. (like BigL sugested they can be packed in mirror/picture cartons. and transported in the upright position). If you are wairy of the transportation wrap the entire piece in a cloth pad and put cardboard on the outside so nothing can push threw the glass during transportation.
Ruges

Beagle

Postby Beagle » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:58 pm

Yes, the glass shelves can be remove.

Beagle

Postby Beagle » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:05 pm

One other thing, this is the first long distance move that I am about to execute and stress is pretty high. I was reading Steph Gas postings and saying to myself, I am going through the exact same things. Our target date is July 25. The husband is already down there with the job and an apartment. We have a 3 bedroom house but most of the things are getting sold via garage sale or donated. Even after all that, we still have about 7,000 lbs of stuff based on the moving company inventories spreadsheet estimates. The curio and dinning table are my two favorite pieces of furniture and I don't want anything to happen to it. Where can I get mirror cartons?

Beagle

Postby Beagle » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:08 pm

PS, where are my manners, thank you so much for your suggestions.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:04 am

You can get them from any moving company, truck rental place, UPS store, or online.
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:48 pm

Re-posting the final report on her move from Omaha to Shreveport, LA, that was sent to a volunteer as a Private Message by "Beagle":
Beagle wrote:Our move from Omaha, NE to Shreveport, LA was pretty smooth as far as the moving company is concern. Originally my focus was on saving money so I did most of my research on the internet looking at mostly self move companies. The closer I got to moving date, with the stress of working 60 hour weeks to finish up projects; packing with kids around and coordinating with my husband who is already in Shreveport, the more I thought I was way in over my head with self moving, so I started looking at full service movers on the interent. Then I came upon your site. Every company I got a quote from seemed to have horror stories or people with bad experiences. The more I read, the more stress I feel about dealing with people I don't know.

So, finally, I decided to get quotes from local companies and they were reasonable compare to the ones I received from the interent. So I decided to go with a local agent for Allied. I decided to pack most of my belongs to save a little money. We had a driver originally assigned for our move date of July 25 but due to the fact that we were not able to finish packing on time, we rescheduled our moved date to the 28th. They were not able to assign a driver when the day came, the local agent was going to pick up my belongings and put it in storage until they find a driver. Since I was flexible on my moved date as long as we got down here before the kids started school on August 9th, we decided to wait until a driver was assigned so that there would not be too much handling of the goods for damage control reasons. They were not able to assigned a driver until the 1st of August.

Due to the fact that it was busy moving season, the local agent was not able to provide the driver and his partner any assistance with loading and it took the two men a full day to load my belongings and they did a good job moving all my furniture and not scratch my walls and doors. Most of our stuff is in storage right now because we are living in the apartment my husband had when he was down here until the lease runs out. There were some minor scratches and a few broken glass jars but other than that not much damages were sustain from the moved. The only problem we have is we can't find the screws from the furniture that the movers removed from our dresser mirrors, and dinning table.

The name of the local Allied agent is Coleman American and the drivers were from Florida. Yes, the same ones that picked up our goods also delivered them. They picked it up on August 1 and delivered it on August 3 at noon, exactly as they promised. The drivers also gave me the route they were taking and what stops they will be making before delivering my load. They were very careful loading but due to time constraints at the storage facility, they had to rush and there were no extra help at the local office here either so when they put our stuff in the storage unit, they did not do a very good job stacking the boxes and such, we had to take most of the boxes out and rearrange the next day.

One more note on the drivers, they were loading on a day where temperature was at 102 with heat index of about 106. They were really good about the whole thing (without the extra help and all), even joke with me a little and told me a little bit about themselves. Due to the extreme heat, they were behind on their second pick up because they were at my house at 8:00 am and did not leave my driveway until 6:00pm. I treated them to breakfast, lunch and dinner along with some snacks for being such good sports. They were very grateful, as am I. Unloading was just as hot but at least the storage facility is air conditioned and has a covered driveway.

I've added this to my summary post on NE movers. Amazing that they picked up on August 1st and delivered on August 3rd.

Return to “Open Community”