I *just* avoided getting scammed! (KUDOS to NMS)

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Samtastic!

I *just* avoided getting scammed! (KUDOS to NMS)

Postby Samtastic! » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:24 am

So Thursday, 7/6, was going to be the day that we moved. It started out well. I took the dogs over to the new house and came back to the old house by 8:30 and the movers were in the driveway. "Great," I thought "they're on time! What a good omen!" That is until I looked at the truck. The name on the side of the truck was different from the company we hired. I walked inside to see my husband about to sign the contract. I told him to wait and jumped online (thank God for the internet) while I researched the company name on the side of the van (United Express Moving) at the Better Business Bureau website. I found the company that showed up had an F rating with the BBB. We called our contact, Dan, at the company we originally hired, Let's Move It!, and he told us it was their "sister company." "Well," hubby argued, "we didn't hire your sister company, we hired YOU guys. YOU guys have a B rating, the guys in our driveway have an F." Dan said he would call dispatch. I went outside and told the guys to hold on and not put anything on the truck. They had one box on the truck already and I snatched it off and put it back in the garage. I looked in the back of the truck and saw it was half full with someone else's stuff. I went inside and continued to read movingscam.com for more details. Meanwhile, the dispatch called my husband back and tried to talk him into going with it the way it was. Hubby said "I am paying for a whole truck, not half a truck. It will take you twice as many trips (ergo twice as much drive time pay and twice as much time moving)." They relented and Dan called us back and said that he'd come out with his own crew tomorrow. We said okay. But something inside me told me that this was a bad, bad thing.

I started researching the company on these message boards. Lots of nasty stuff later I started to freak out. I called a friend who had just moved and got a recommendation. Those folks were busy so they referred me to someone else. Those folks were busy, too, but I got another referral, this time in Simi Valley. These guys (Atlas Van Lines affiliate NMS) had time to move us tomorrow and they wanted to send someone out to do a formal quote. How nice. How professional. They guy they sent out, Jack, said he had 30 years experience in the industry and told us he hears about one of our stories a day during the summer. Apparently this happens a lot. They will lowball the quote and then demand upwards of 2, 3, or 4x as much at the destination.

Jack gave us a reasonable quote (reasonable because it was scam-free) and was super friendly. I was so stressed about the whole thing I hugged him at the end to show my gratitude! When I called Dan to cancel he didn't protest one iota. He just said "Okay" and hung up. (Red flag, anyone?)

NMS (formerly Northridge Moving Service) came out the next day, on time, with three guys who worked non-stop (except, of course, for the government-mandated break times!) to get us in to the new house as quickly as possible. It was a hot day, but these guys were totally friendly, courteous and professional. The truck was big, clean and organized. They knew what they were doing, worked as a team, and beat our estimated time by almost an hour. I *highly* recommend NMS to anyone in the Simi Valley area. In fact, I recommend them to anyone in the Ventura or L.A. County area.

Cory2001

Re: I *just* avoided getting scammed! (KUDOS to NMS)

Postby Cory2001 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:52 am

Glad to hear a great story! Congratulations on the new place.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:08 pm

Phew!

happymover

Postby happymover » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:12 am

I just moved from Los angeles to New York with NMS (thanks to a post on movingscam.com). It was a fantastic experience. I used NMS in Oxnard. John was straightforward, clear and nice. NMS uses their own drivers (agent Atlas) to go cross-country. Steve, the driver was very nice, gave me his cell phone number and told me to call whenever I wanted. My stuff was treated with care and it was nice to see it exactly as it was loaded in the truck at the other end. In other words, it was not moved or touched from the time I saw it loaded to the time I saw it unloaded. Never did a sketchy feeling come from them. Believe me, I was looking for sketchiness. Can't say enough good things about NMS. Simply great. Highly recommended.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Happy, you have posted that message about 5 different places, we get the message....

Return to “Report A Scam”