Moving from Durham, North Carolina, NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
swapan007

Moving from Durham, North Carolina, NC

Postby swapan007 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:47 pm

I am moving to Illinois from Durham, NC, in August. I had some horrible experience with moving brokers and so I have decided to go with local companies. The resources on this website were very helpful.
I have scheduled an appointment with Superior Moving Systems (http://www.movesuperior.com/) and Truckin Movers (http://www.truckinmovers.com/), both from Durham, NC. Any information about these and/or other moving companies in Durham will be appreciated.
It is hard to judge these companies. For example, Superior is currently under suspension by the NC Secretary of State (http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/Corp.aspx?PitemId=4926604).
An earlier post on this forum says they were suspended twice before (http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4297&highlight=superior+moving+systems) but that may be due to financial or tax reasons.
I also read good reviews about Truckin but the BBB website shows they have one unresolved problem (http://www.bbbenc.org/commonreport.html?bid=5847&code=).
Are these acceptable problems or should I avoid them altogether?

Diane

Re: Moving from Durham, North Carolina, NC

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi - from the things you say, I would drop Superior. It sounds as if it's a local mover that is having some financial problems, not a recipe for a successful interstate move. I don't know anything about Truckin Movers, but again, it sounds like a small local mover. I think you should use a van line agent for a move of your distance.

I believe that Graebel has a location in or near Durham and also in Illinois. This would be a good company to get a quote from, in my opinion. Click on the link below my signature and scroll down to "North Carolina" to see what has been said here about movers in your area. That list indicates that there is also a Beltmann (North American Van Lines) agent in Durham.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:31 pm

I would recommend calling Armstrong Relocation (United), Security Storage Company (Atlas ask for Melissa or John) and Excel (Allied) to get quotes.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:05 pm

swapan,

Take Michael's advice and not mine because he is the one who knows the area. I was just giving you names of van line agents in Durham.

swapan007

Postby swapan007 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:19 pm

Thanks Diane and Michael, I will try the companies you suggested.
I have a major constraint. I need my stuff to be delivered on a specific date. I have been reading on this forum and elsewhere that delivery dates are not guaranteed, all they do is give a delivery window which can be several weeks long. That makes sense. I don't have much stuff, so movers are not going to give me a whole truck.
However, Truckin says that they will guarantee a specific delivery date. How believeable is that?
I don't mind paying extra money to get a whole truck for myself. I am talking to TROSA http://trosainc.com/, a local non-profit. They said they can give me whole truck if I pay for it. I am seriously considering going with them. I will keep you posted.

swapan007

Postby swapan007 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:25 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention. Truckin said they will pack and load all my stuff in a container, then ship it with UPS freight and get another company in Illinois to unload. That's how they can guarantee a specific delivery date.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Its not a matter of getting a whole truck, its what you have to pay for a whole truck. And in your case, if your a small move I wouldnt do it. I would go with a spread.

And yes, it will be near impossible to get an exact date prior to your move with a major. Honest companies will explain the process and how the spread works and why they have to do it. Good companies are in the business to make money. Bad companies are in the business to lie, cheat, steal and disappear with your goods and money.

With these smaller companies you run the risk of being dropped like a hot potatoe should something bigger come along. They dont have an affiliation with a company where your going thus might hire labor at destination. They cant afford to send a large crew to do it all cause they have to maintain what they have here. Their quality programs are probably non existant. Their customer service coordination is probably poor. Go take a look at their facility. Then go look at the three I mentioned. Go inside. Look at their warehouses, meet their coordinators then come back and tell me they compare comparably to the other three.

Its a lot of driving but worth it.

TROSA on the other hand, again is a different bird. My confusion is in how they would handle and interstate move, considering all their labor are ex thieves, drug dealers, or have other issues with the law. Most of their crews have time frames they have to report back to their people, can be 5-6-7 pm. I am sure they are not allowed to cross state lines. So that leads me to believe they broker the move out. Not sure 100% and I could be wrong.

Best of luck,
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:41 pm

swapan,

I have a somewhat different take on this than Michael because I am a strong supporter of both Delancey Street Movers and Moovers, Inc. (who are trained in the Delancey Street program). I can totally understand why you might be interested in using TROSA. I was the one who put TROSA's contact information on the list of North Carolina movers to try to bring it to people's attention.

Incidentally, I don't know whether you know that Delancey Street also has a location in NC, in Greensboro about 60 miles from Durham. This is its contact information:
Delancey Street North Carolina
811 N Elm St (336) 379-8477
Greensboro, NC 27401

I didn't mention Delancey and TROSA to you initially because it takes a certain kind of person to consider such companies and I wasn't sure whether you would be open to them. But I think they might be a very good choice for you. I can't vouch personally for TROSA but I did talk to one of the owners of Moovers about them (Jayson Berger) and he told me that he knows the people who run it and they are good people. (He probably also knows the people at Delancey-NC.) You might want to call Jayson and just talk to him about it. No one has ever moved with TROSA or Delancey-NC interstate and come back to post about it here, but I know that Delancey, at least, would have proper licensing for interstate because they are always very careful about things like that. Like Delancey, TROSA would probably send two drivers with your shipment so they would have enough labor to unload it.

So . . . as I said, I have a slightly different take on this. If it were my move, I think I would give TROSA a try as long as they are properly licensed for interstate. I am not sure that the Truckin company could actually guarantee that UPS would get your things to you on the date you need.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 am

Like I said my concern is the driver being licensed to do interstate, their time restraints as workers and if its brokered out.

Until we know more on how exactly they would handle an interstate move, I think its the wrong route to go. Diane I would suggest you call you contact at Delancey, since your close and ask how they handle such moves, in what equipment and if its brokered out or not.

Unless your saying its ok to broker moves out as long as it comes from Delancey and TROSA????? Which if you are goes against what we all have communicated against here for HHG.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:05 am

I know that Delancey always uses its own equipment and never brokers out shipments, but I don't know what TROSA does. As I said above, this customer could call Jayson Berger at Moovers, Inc. (800-248-0251) to get more information about TROSA, because Jayson knows some of the people who run it. Swapan, you can tell Jayson that I referred you.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:27 pm

I would recommend she ask TROSA directly and not go through a middle man that might know a few people and not necessarily how their company might or might not work. See what they say, then come back here and let us know.
Michael

swapan007

Postby swapan007 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Thanks Dianne and Michael, your advice has been very helpful so far. I see that the moving process is going to be a lot harder than what I had assumed. I have no flexibility timewise. I absolutely have to get my stuff delivered exactly on the 15th. However, since I will be reimbursed for the move, I have little financial constraints. I am going to give you an update. It is long but I want to put in as much information as possible.

I took your advice and dropped Superior.

I got quotes for packing, transportation and full insurance from these companies:

1. Excel (Allied):
Guaranteed price $2918 (Josh clarified in a subsequent email:The guaranteed price is a fixed priced based on the weight that I estimated.)
Estimated wt: 2500 lbs.
The estimate order does not have any details about date, etc. I was told that they will pick up on the 3rd and Federal/O'Byrne (http://www.federalcos.com/champaign.html) will deliver on the 15th. The final contract will have all that information.

2. TROSA:
Fixed price: $5400
Minimum weight: 4000 lbs.
The estimate explicitly states that they will pack and load the truck on the 11th (Friday), start driving on the 12th/13th and deliver on the 15th.

3. Truckin Movers
Not-to-exceed $2887
Estimated weight: 2590 lbs.
The owner is a really cool guy. He will pack and load a container on the 9th and take it to UPS Freight. They will deliver it to Federal/O'Byrne on the 14th and Federal will drop it off on the 15th. He is guaranteeing the dates but I don't have a written estimate yet. This guy wants my credit card number and I am not comfortable.

I have an appointment with Melissa from Security Storage Company (Atlas) http://www.wemove4u.com/index.htm next week.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:21 pm

swapan,

Clearly TROSA is going to be out because of the cost.

The more that I look into Truckin Movers, the more I like them. Given the way they handle shipments using UPS Freight, I think it IS possible that they would offer day-certain delivery. The one partly unresolved complaint with the BBB is absolutely nothing to worry about. They have had only 2 BBB complaints over the past 36 months, and both of those were more than a year ago, which is very good. On www.safersys.org it shows that they are a small company with few trucks but they have been licensed for interstate moves since 1982 and they have changed insurance carriers only once during that time. All of that indicates financial stability and probable reliability. If you have also read good reviews of the company (I couldn't find them), I think they might be a very good choice.

swapan007

Postby swapan007 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:00 am

Thanks Diane

I am inclined to go with Truckin'. TROSA is expensive becuase they are giving me a whole truck and a crew for 4 days. I am just worried that if the truck breaks down or some other emergency comes up, they may not be able to handle that.

Truckin has agreed to most of my concerns. They even have put in a $200/day penalty for late delivery! I have one last question before I sign the contract. The page that I have to sign (see below) does not include any cost information. There are several attached pages one of which says : "$3,350 is the not-to-exceed price for the services listed in the estimate letter, and allows up to 3,300 lbs." Shouldn't this be in the page where we sign?

CONTRACT
By signing this contract, I agree to the following:

1) Your estimated weight is: 2,880 Mileage: 705 Tariff: TMC - Inter
The rates per 100 lbs are:
Weight: from 2,304 2,800 4,800
to 2,799 4,799 an, up
Breakpoint 2,800 4,319 N/, up
Rate/100 lbs 91.78 80.24 72.20

2) The minimum chargeable weight for this move is 2,304. Delivery must be on 8/15. There is a $200/day penalty if delivery is late.
3) All rates quoted include a 3% cash discount.
4) The per-hundred-pound rates above include:
• Load and unload
• Three days storage at origin & destination warehouse
• Transportation charges (Storage begins on the date after arrival at warehouse)
• Minimum insurance coverage of $.60 per pound
5) The per-hundred-pound rates do not include:
• Extra stops at the origin or destination
• Miles traveled outside of local zones
• Packing labor and materials
• Storage beyond the free period
• Difficult access charges
• Warehouse handling
• Heavy carry charges
• Unpacking of cartons
• Bulky item charges
• Additional cargo protection
• Other ____________________________________________________________________
(The appropriate rates for these accessorials are as published in the TMC tariff)
6) The payment method agreed upon is as follows:
A deposit equal to one-third of the estimate is required. The second one-third is due at pickup. The balance must be mailed to Truckin Movers within 24 hours after delivery.
7) I understand a $962.00 deposit must be payable to Truckin' Movers and be received by Truckin' Movers, either through the mail or in person, along with a signed copy of the contract and the accompanying Note A 15 days prior
to the scheduled date of the move. I understand my deposit will be applied toward the total cost of the moving service.
8) All payments are to be made payable to Truckin' Movers Corp. and to no other party. All payments must be in a cash equivalent form. Acceptable forms of payment include major credit cards, certified checks, traverlers checks, money orders, cash, & personal checks secured by a major credit card.
9) If the move is being billed to an employer, written verification of payment is required by an officer of the employing company three (3) business days prior to the pickup date. Failure to comply will result in the customer or his agent paying for all services in agreement with the terms stated herein.
10) If some arrangements for billing have been agreed upon, terms are full balance due paid within 15 days from receipt of my goods. After 30 days, unpaid balances receive a 1.5% monthly surcharge (an annual percentage rate of 18%).
If the party being billed fails to pay in a timely manner I agree to promptly pay all unpaid charges. If I fail to pay you in a timely manner, I understand you may turn my account over for collection. In that event I agree to pay all costs of collection, specifically including, but not limited to, all costs of court and reasonable attorneys fees incurred by you.
11) Once verbal or written agreement has been made between Truckin' Movers and the customer to provide origin services for the customer on a specific date, any rescheduling or cancellation must be made at least 15 days prior to the reserved date. Failure to do so will forfeit an amount equal to a customary deposit (1/3rd of your move estimate.)
12) I have read and understand the accompany Note A pertaining to cargo protection or insurance. I understand that I must sign the Note A to indicate the amount of coverage I wish to carry. I understand that I am responsible to absorb the cost of any damage that is below the deductible or above the amount of cargo protection or insurance I have chosen to carry.

CUSTOMER'S SIGNATURE DATE AGENT'S SIGNATURE DATE

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:42 am

Two things stand out that we here at movingscam will steer customers from, the first is paying a rate per 100 pds. The second is paying a deposit. NO NO NO, there is no need to pay a deposit. And another thing that stands out that I am not aware of which tariff it is, is the tariff they are quoting you, 705 Tariff??? Never heard of it.
Another thing that stands out. Sending 4 guys for 2500 pounds. These small companies cannot afford to ship 4 guys from NC to IL. I will guarantee you this, if something bigger comes up between now and then for this company, cause believe me you are small beans, you will not get 4 guys and you may not even get them.

So those are my thoughts and concerns to this point. I hope Diane will jump in with what she thinks too.
Michael

Return to “Open Community”