ALERT - avoid (A) Security Moving and Storage (NJ)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
on pins and needles

ALERT - avoid (A) Security Moving and Storage (NJ)

Postby on pins and needles » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:39 am

Has anyone heard anything about Security Moving and Storage out of NJ? They have our furniture and won't give it back until we pay $4060. We have already paid cash $3000 and the original estimate from an in home quote was for $3400....we moved from CT. to FL. They are really rude and have the poorest customer service and refuse to take credit cards. Any news would be helpful. Signed very unhappy in Florida.

medic

Re: Security Moving and Storage

Postby medic » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:57 am

Wow, how did that price jump occur and when did they tell you about it?

They are BBB members witha satisfactory record with 13 complaints for the last 12 months http://www.trenton.bbb.org/nis/newsearc ... 0028000337

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:07 pm

The price jumped when we spoke to them after they had all of our items weighed. The original estimate was for 7000 lbs. and quoted at $3500 actually according to my paperwork in front of me. When we called them to find out the balance, that's when we learned that we actually had 14,120 lbs and that the cost to get everything would be another $4060.

Diane

Re: ALERT - avoid (A) Security Moving and Storage (NJ)

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:12 pm

Typical scam operation. On safersys.org they say they have only one truck and one driver. They are in Bayonne and their legal name is A Security Moving & Storage, Inc. They have been licensed for interstate only since June 2004. I'm changing the topic title to an "ALERT - avoid" to warn others.
http://www.safersys.org./query.asp?sear ... ng=1263876

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:13 pm

I need to ask if this is "A Security Moving & Storage, Inc." out of Bayonne, NJ.

If this is the one, the BBB statistics don't have much use for us here.

What interests us is they show 1 truck and 1 driver.

They have a 40% out of service for the truck, and 33% out of service for the driver.

So if this in fact is the company, no wonder they can't deliver... It must be one of the driver out of service weeks.

And this company only has had their HHG authority by FMCSA since 2004.

There is a Security Moving & Storage Co. in Colorado Springs, that shows 14 trucks but it shows their authority was revoked in 1996.

Usually when that happens it could be that they have become van line affilliates, and are using the van line MC #. But I cannot find this company listed even in Colorado.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 pm

If the weight is that much difference, I would demand a reweigh, and be present when the shipment is weighed.

For those who question weighing, there is a foolproof way to have it done, and if the carrier is legit they won't object. I would even offer to pay for the weight as added protection.

Steps for questionable weighing....

Find out where the scale is that the driver expects to use. Meet him there, and witness the HEAVY WEIGHT. (that is the weight of everything BEFORE he unloads your shipment)

Once your shipment is unloaded, go back to the same scale and witness the LIGHT WEIGHT. (the weight after your shipment is delivered)

Scammers might try to use a doctored weight ticket as the heavy weight, so I would demand to view a totally separate reweigh.

A legitimate mover might complain of inconvenience, but a scam mover will go ballistic on you.

Another thing on reweighs... or any weight... DO NOT ACCEPT HAND WRITTEN WEIGHT TICKETS. A Legitimate scale has a computerized ticket, and will stamp the weights on the ticket. They should also have the name, location, and phone number of the scale on it, and should be signed by a licensed and certified weighmaster.

Weighing is usually less than $20 and covers both weights as long as they are done at the same scale. If the driver is going to use the same scale, they might retain the weight ticket until both weights have been completed.

You might have to negotiate a bit with the company if they refuse to deliver your goods without payment. YOU DO HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO REQUEST THE REWEIGH.

Tell the mover that legally on a binding estimate you are only required to pay the amount of your estimate to receive your goods.

On a non binding estimate your goods are legally required to be released to you upon payment of 110% of the amount of the estimate upon delivery.

How much you have to pay is keyed to the type of estimate you have, and please don't say they quoted it by cubic foot.

contact http://www.moverescue.com

They might be able to offer you legal opinions on how to get your goods without paying an exhorbitant price.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 am

they suck asss

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:00 am

Care to elaborate?

pickles

Postby pickles » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:51 am

Does anyone know about a Security Moving and Storage, Inc, in Poughkeepsie, NY? I just got an estimate, but it sounds too good to be true. Any way to know if they are the same outfit as in NJ?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:07 pm

I don't see a Security Moving and Storage in Poughkeepsie, NY. Do you have an address, phone number and/or website?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 pm

The only way I find "Security Moving" in "Poughkeepsie" is with vanlines.com and 123movers.com advertising the Bayonne company to Poughkeepsie residents.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:33 pm

Yes, me too.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:35 pm

Then again, the same company lists in THIS ad an address in Connecticut, so I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere there's an alternate address.

Security Moving & Storage
Free Estimate via Email or Telephone
2490 Black Rock trpk (postal mailboxes for rent)
Fairfield, CT
Zip-06825
Licenses:
US DOT # 1263876
ICC MC # 490948

pickles

Postby pickles » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:57 pm

Info re "A Security Moving", "A Security Moving and Storage", and "Security Moving and Storage". They give their license numbers as: MC#490948 and USDOT#1263876.

Their letter head is "Security Moving and Storage". The return address on the envelope reads "A Security Moving and Storage". A man named Michael Cappiello came to my house to provide a quote, stating that he was part-owner. When I asked where his company was located, he said it was in Poughkeepsie. His business card and letter head contained no address at all. His return address showed PO Box 4027, Bayonne NJ.

He offered 4 men for $105 per hour. That was to include the truck, gas, tolls, mileage--everything. I stated I would not accept illegal aliens. He stated he was pro-America, and all his workers "spoke English". He never denied that he might still use illegal aliens. Every other moving company I contacted stated that they used union drivers, and few offered weekend workers. Cappiello stated his quote included weekends. After his cut, plus costs, it does not appear that he could be paying union wages, or other benefits.

I have decided not to use this company. Thank you for having this website, for those of us who otherwise would not have known better.

Pickles

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:27 pm

Thank you for this information. This is indeed the same company.

How can they maintain two offices if they only own one truck? Do they share custody of it?

Return to “Open Community”