Please help : Moving from San Francisco to Boston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ashishcn

Please help : Moving from San Francisco to Boston

Postby ashishcn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi

I am moving to Boston (Cambridge) from the San Francisco Bay Area and have had a hard time finding a good and reliable moving company. I am hoping to rely on the experience and expertise of the folks on this board to help me find a moving company that is going to deliver my things safely, securely and without gouging me.

I have 2 bedroom place and am not moving a whole lot of furniture. I do have a delicate plasma TV that needs to be moved and am concerned about moving this fragile item. I am willing to move this separately if it makes sense to do so.

The one I have spoken to and that have done a in-home estimate is the "CA NY Moving Express", they have provided a cubic feet based estimate.

Others I am looking at are:
- American Eagle
- All World Moving and Storage

Your help and guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

BigLeeCalif

Re: Please help : Moving from San Francisco to Boston

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:34 pm

First take a look at this link, which tells you how to find a reputable mover.

http://www.movingscam.com/news/findmover.shtml

The read this link, which gives you a breakdown of movers by state.

scroll down to California.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8038

If you have any questions on any mover on the list, you can contact us, or the author Diane.

I lived in the Bay Area for 40 yrs, and most of the movers in the Bay Area are honest.. The few dubious ones are from San Jose.

In SF there is Vector (Mayflower)
In The East Bay there is:

Crown (united)
Caton (Mayflower)
NorCal (Allied)
Peeters (Atlas)
Cor-O-Van (North American)
Delancey St (SF - Independent)
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Please dump all three movers you listed (all bad) and any others that contact you via "find-a-mover" websites. Those sites are infested with scammers and do you no good.

Also, Cubic Feet estimates for interstate moves are now illegal, unless they gave you a Binding price, which I think you would have mentioned if they did.

Plasma TV's are very tough to move, the pros here say. They need special crating, and are altitude-sensitive, which could possibly be an issue depending on what route the truck takes to CA. COuld be better to just sell it to someone in your new town, and buy a new one when you get to CA. I bet you could find one of similar features taht is cheaper than when you bought it, just going by the way electronics pricing always goes down when a new product gets a little more common.

ashishcn

Postby ashishcn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Thanks both. I did look at both those urls before posting.

I have Jason from Moovers coming to do an in-house estimate. Based on the per-state list, Moovers has a very good and strong recommendation. Please let me know if you feel otherwise.

What are your thoughts on Golden Gate Moving?

I will contact based on your suggestion the following as well

Crown Worldwide
Caton
NorCal
Cor-O-Van

If there are other reliable and good movers that I should consider as I move from San Franicsoc to Boston, please let me know.

Thanks!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:10 pm

My office in Concord was around the corner from Golden Gate. Their office and warehouse was so small that line drivers used to cringe, because they had to back like 100 ft up a narrow driveway, and then side load or unload.

They aren't one of the larger Allied agents in the Bay Area.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

ashishcn

Postby ashishcn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:02 pm

Quick update on Cor-O-Van

Just exchanged notes with an acquaintance who used Cor-O-Van for his move from SF to Boston in July. He told me that they showed up 2 weeks later than the promised date and are trying to charge him an extra $500 above the not-to-exceed price.

Is this normal?

I guess this would rule Cor-O-Van out (?) or is this normal for inter-state moves?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:34 pm

A two-week delivery delay is certainly not normal but it does happen (rarely) during the summer. Chances are that your friend misunderstood something about the extra payment. The $500 could be a valid charge for extra weight, or a shuttle, or something like that.

Anyway, I don't think that Cor-o-Van would be your best choice. If Moovers can move you, I would go with them because we know they are excellent. If you want a second quote, my own recommendation would be Rossiter (United). They have very good remarks here. Crown (United) would also be good. If you go with one of these two companies you will probably have a United Van Lines driver, which is good.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:11 pm

I think of United agents in the area (and this isn't based on bias) Chipman has the largest hauling fleet and can give you a better chance of self hauling the shipment.

Rossiter isn't quite as well known in the bay area....

The advantage Chipman has is they have a Mayflower, and a Chipman self haul fleet. I didn't mention them because I am a former (not disgruntled) employee...

By the way if you call Caton ask for Stan Herzbrun.. He was the Mayflower salesman of the year every year running from around 1994 - 2003....

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:25 pm

I agree with Lee - if Chipman has the largest hauling fleet they would be your best choice among the United agents.

ashishcn

Postby ashishcn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi BigLee and Diane

Got slightly confused by your comments. Not sure what you mean by self hauling the shipment. I thought that the movers would come to my house and give me an estimate, then on the move day, they would load the truck and at the destination they would unload the truck in to my new place. Does self-hauling mean that I have to tow the shipment all the way? Or even load the truck myself ?

Also, based on your recommendations, I have contacted

Crown
Chipman
Rossiter

I still need help with recommendations on moving the plasma tv, selling it is not an option for me. Any directions you can provide will be much appreciated. I am willing to ship just that TV by itself with a special service if I can find one.

Also, what recommendations do you have on getting insurance for the items being shipped?

Thanks!

ashishcn

Postby ashishcn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Also, I can't find a contact number for Caton (one of the recommendations on this thread). Can someone be kind enough to post that?

Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi - we have unintentionally confused you. You have three United Van Lines agents there: Chipman, Crown, and Rossiter. That is probably two too many. They are all going to quote more or less the same price because they are with the same van line.

Based on what Lee has posted, Chipman would be your best choice of the three because he says that Chipman has the most trucks of its own and is therefore the most likely to self-haul the shipment. It can also fall back on the United and Mayflower fleet of trucks in a pinch. Self-haul doesn't refer to the customer driving his own goods behind a mule train, but rather to the agent (company) that books the move hauling the goods using its own truck and driver. The opposite of self-haul is a move where a long-haul driver for the van line comes with a truck and scoops up the goods from the residence (preferably) or from the origin agent's warehouse (less preferably) and then transports it in that truck to the new location.

What Lee and I are saying is that if you can possibly avoid having your goods taken to a warehouse and then transferred to another truck, do so. The more times the goods are handled, the greater the chance of damage and delay. That's one reason that I endorse Moovers - they do not transfer the goods. The driver and truck that pick up your goods will be the driver and truck that delivers them.

I personally would get an estimate just from Chipman and Moovers for a start and not go overboard with estimates from a lot of different companies. Caton (Mayflower) is a "sister" company of Chipman and chances are that its estimate wouldn't be all that different from Chipman's.

Other people will be better able to advise you about insurance (valuation). If Moovers is coming, ask them to explain it. They will also be able to explain to you what will happen with the plasma TV. You don't have to send it with a special moving company but it will have to be carefully prepped.

ashishcn

Postby ashishcn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:46 pm

Diane

You're awesome. I will make sure that whoever I go with, I post my entire experience here to help with your quality control.

I called Chipman and they are booked. Can you please give me the number for Caton so I can contact them instead?

Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:59 pm

Here is the info from the Mayflower website:

CATON MOVING & STORAGE
5060 FORNI DRIVE, SUITE C
CONCORD, CA 94520
Telephone: (925) 609-1800
Fax: (925) 609-1805
Toll Free: (800) 675-1007

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:00 pm

I filled out the online form for Crown but noone has contacted me yet. Can someone give me a phone number for them? I can't find it on their website.

Thanks!

Return to “Open Community”