Golan's Moving and Storage-Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
portlago

Golan's Moving and Storage-Chicago

Postby portlago » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:56 am

I just completed a move with Golan's Moving and Storage, based out of Skokie, IL, a suburb of Chicago. I used them within the city of Chicago (though not downtown) for a move just 2 blocks away. All in all, I think they did a satisfactory job.

Just a few comments on their service:
While they were all trained on how to do things the right way, they didn't seem to have a "gentle touch" with my things. Nothing was ruined or thrown around, but I get nervous and picky very easily. Maybe because they were all hired as summer help, and not movers as a career. I'm just glad they were trained.

Everything was wrapped really well, even for the short distance.

The people on the phone were very nice. We called back several times to ask questions, mainly because we were nervous about the reputation of all movers in general.

They used a LOT of tape. They charge for the amount of tape they use. While they only packed about 5 boxes, they used about 20 rolls of tape to wrap our furniture. I thought it was unneccesary to use that much, but I guess it's better that my stuff was protected.

I would recommend them to anybody doing a local move. THey did a fine job and none of my stuff was damaged. If anyone has questions about them, I'd be happy to talk about my experience.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Golan's Moving and Storage-Chicago

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:59 am

They used a LOT of tape. They charge for the amount of tape they use. While they only packed about 5 boxes, they used about 20 rolls of tape to wrap our furniture. I thought it was unneccesary to use that much, but I guess it's better that my stuff was protected.

What did they use to wrap your furniture with? I'm not sure how they do it there but the company I worked for used furniture blankets, and large flat rubber bands to secure furniture.

Some of the creative drivers used bunjee cords to secure the moving blankets.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Jeri

Postby Jeri » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:17 pm

I used Golan for a local Chicago move 7 years ago and had a similar experience. I bought boxes from Golan and packed myself. Golan provided a truck and three men for the move.

The movers worked hard and were very fast even though Golan charged by the hour. They really hustled. Nothing was damaged in the move from a one-bedroom apartment to another one-bedroom apartment in the Loop.

But what I remember most is now much tape they used. Golan charged an extra $2 per roll and used 18 rolls. Considering that they didn’t pack anything, I was astonished. They used tape to secure the furniture blankets, and wrapped tape around everything in sight. Not just one wrap, either. Dozens of wraps, using as much tape as possible. Around, and around, and around, and around. Roll after roll.

I said something at the time, and the man in charge instantly pulled a liability release form from his pocket. I didn’t sign, so the taping continued. I really felt this was their way of padding the bill.

Overall the move went well, though, so I was generally satisfied.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:24 pm

I think I remember that when a former employee of a NYC scammer was contributing to this messageboard a couple of years ago, he said that the workers can keep whatever money they make on the tape and packing supplies that they "sell" to the customer. In other words, this is the workers' own little mini-scam that they do and they don't have to give the profit (or all of it, anyway) to the company. Not saying that Golan's is an actual scammer, but something like this might have been going on.

portlago

Postby portlago » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:15 am

Yeah, they used the tape to secure the furniture pads. I agree that there is something that could be done about this. I think they used 3 rolls alone on my couch. The amount of time they spent walking around my couch 30 times or more, they could have had some sort of strap or belt or rubber band around it. I have yet to provide my feedback to Golan's, but this is one of the things I'm going to mention.

Windy1

Postby Windy1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:30 pm

I posted in other threads on Golan's, but I wanted to add this here in case someone missed it:

I paid Golan's to move me cross-country. This included $450 for insurance coverage of $60,000 with a $500 deductible. They damaged and/or lost a lot (about 10%) of my boxes and pieces of furniture. This negligence included refusing to crate items, taping to bare wood, smashing boxes, ripping shelves out of bookcases, destroying patio goods and hiding damages. They initially admitted their negligence. I have spent 3 months filing claims with Golan's, providing photos, details, etc. At first they wouldn't pay to repair or replace all these broken and lost items. After my complaints they offered a tiny sum, because they know they are at fault but still do not want to pay. I am still protesting this and plan to take further action if they do not come around.

This is a big difference from my experiences with them for local moves. I don't know if this was an isolated incident or not, but I would urge you not to use them.

Auri

Postby Auri » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:01 pm

In Chicago, tape usage is farily normal with most of the moving companies. For some reason, very few companies have moved over to rubber bands or bungies here. I have no idea why.
Industry Professional in Chicago

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:11 pm

its easy to figure out why, $$$$$$$$$$$$--they can sell tape and they dont have to spend THEIR money training crews on how to properly pad items using rubber bands, it is fairly easy to teach and learn however some guys never pick it up and companies dont want to spend money teaching them how to band things

Return to “Open Community”