philadelphia to san diego

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

philadelphia to san diego

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:39 pm

I'm moving from philadelphia to san diego at the end of august and I've gotten quotes from 4 movers:

Sinclair: $3200 GNTE for 3000 lbs, full value protection, and shuttle service on the philadelphia end

American Way: $4200 GNTE for 4000 lbs, full value protection, and shuttle service on the philadelphia end

Simonik: $3750 GNTE for 2900 lbs and shuttle service in philadelphia (FVP not included, about $200 more)

Bayshore: $5000 GNTE for 4500 lbs, full value protection, and shuttle service on the philadelphia end

Given that these agents all seem relatively reputable and have provided GNTE estimates, I am inclined to go w/Sinclair (which was my first choice going into the process, based on reviews I'd read). Does this seem reasonable?

Diane

Re: philadelphia to san diego

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:39 pm

I think you've made a very good choice. (Please come back to report.) I'm surprised that Bayshore Allied was so high, both in estimated weight and price. Did the sales rep make a good impression?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:08 pm

The rep from Bayshore was both professional and friendly, definitely made a good impression (as did all of the reps). However, the Bayshore rep seemed overly generous in his inventory. He repeatedly mentioned the number of books I own (although I really only have 1 1/2 bookshelves' worth). In contrast, the rep from Sinclair kept reiterating that most of my stuff seemed lightweight.

Although the Sinclair rep seemed to have missed a few of my items, the main discrepancy in weight looks like it comes from the number of boxes they estimated I would have. The lower estimates (around 3000 lbs) indicate that I would need 7 each of the small, medium and large boxes, wheras the higher estimates (4000-4500 lbs) indicate that I would need 15 each of the small and medium boxes and 18 large boxes. The latter seems like overkill for a 1 bedroom apartment plus a small office.

Under what circumstances would a van driver contest the inventory/load? Does the driver check the rep's inventory thoroughly to see if it matches the load, or does he focus more on whether the weight seems off? I'm inclined to think that 3000 lbs is a legit estimate, considering that 2 movers gave me that figure, but I don't want to encounter problems down the line.

By the way, many thanks to this website for all of the helpful information -- it's a great resource (in fact, Bayshore asked me if I had been to this website). I felt very comfortable when speaking with the reps because I was able to do so much research in advance.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:57 pm

Thanks - it's nice to hear that the website was helpful AND that Bayshore has noticed us!

In all the time that I have been monitoring this messageboard (more than three years), I've seen only one case reported where a driver said he was going to formally protest the weight or the number of items. There was one other case in NYC where a driver grumbled, "They've got to stop doing this" when he saw the size of the shipment, but he and his assistant loaded it. (By "they," he was referring to the sales reps, not to the customer.)

The one case where the driver SAID he was going to protest was where an Armstrong shipment in Houston had a GNTE (which the customer had asked for at my suggestion) for 6600 pounds and the actual weight was 9900 pounds. The driver told the customer he was going to protest as soon as he saw the load - before it was actually weighed at the scale. I don't know whether he actually DID protest, but I don't think the customer was asked to sign an addendum agreeing to pay for the higher weight. People in the industry commented at that time that the driver usually has to "eat" the first 10% over the estimate, and after that, he would or should be compensated by the van line in some way. Typically the sales rep would lose his commission if he gave a seriously lowball quote.

There are many pressures on the driver that work against his formally protesting the weight. I am not going to go into them, but trust me, there are. From what I've seen here, I think it is extremely unlikely that you will run into a problem as long as you have only a few items that are not on the inventory or a couple of hundred pounds more than the weight estimate. Keep that 10% figure in mind, in other words.

The drivers seem to be able to "eyeball" the shipments and judge the weights pretty accurately. Actually they are equally concerned about volume because if they don't have enough room on the truck, it can affect customers all the way down the line.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Okay, good. Thanks for the info -- I will let you know how things turn out.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:32 pm

I'm just writing to follow-up on my move from Philadelphia to San Diego at the beginning of September. I went with Sinclair Moving and Storage and had a very positive experience. The driver asked me to switch my pickup day so that he could make it across the country to be with his family over labor day weekend, and I had no problem with the request. The movers on both ends were very professional, and the driver delivered my furniture on the scheduled day. And although my items weighed over the estimated amount, I had a GNTE estimate, and was charged the amount I was originally quoted. I would definitely recommend them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:49 pm

Thanks so much for this good review, which I'll add to my Superlist linked to below. Interestingly, Bayshore just gave another person a very high estimate. If you see this, how much did your shipment actually weigh, do you remember?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:12 am

The one case where the driver SAID he was going to protest was where an Armstrong shipment in Houston had a GNTE (which the customer had asked for at my suggestion) for 6600 pounds and the actual weight was 9900 pounds. The driver told the customer he was going to protest as soon as he saw the load - before it was actually weighed at the scale. [quote]

In order for a protest to be lodged, the driver actually has to file the protest with the booking agent BEFORE THE SHIPMENT IS LOADED. Once the first piece is loaded onto the truck, the driver can no longer file a protest.

One reason you might hear drivers grumble, but not file a protest in a lot of instances, is that the van lines are really enforcing the disincentives for filing and not having valid protests.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:59 am

I can't seem to find the actual weight in my paperwork, although I remember seeing it at some point during delivery, and it was more than the estimate - I'm just not sure how much more.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:25 am

OK, thanks. I am just interested in whether Bayshore Allied is systematically overestimating the weights, maybe like University Van Lines in Rahway, NJ, which does the same thing, mainly to protect itself against customers adding things at the last minute.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”