Flying Pets from Northern Westchester, NY to Las Vegas

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nymryk

Flying Pets from Northern Westchester, NY to Las Vegas

Postby nymryk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:04 am

Travel restrictions into LV until 9/15 (heat) have made figuring this out more difficult.

Any tips, experience when you're flying with 4 pets? My plan so far (and I'm out of time) is to send the elderly cat with one family member as carry-on ($50) on a different, cheaper flight. I would go on Midwest (temp controlled, pressurized compartment below, special pet program.) My flight would be more expensive and not a non-stop with the two other cats and our Labrador as baggage ($75 each.)

Everyone else in the family will go ahead of me so they can help me with the rest of the pets when I get there.

I've only gotten one price so far for a full service transport for 2cats/1dog and it was $2,250 minimum and out of Newark (quite a long way from here.)

I'm also worried about the old cat passing the physical, not that she's sick, it's just that she's never been to the vet in her life. The rest are at the vet more than we're at the doctor, but this cat was owned by an elderly person and so old that I figured why mess with her. Anyone have difficulty getting the certificate because of no shots?

I'm also worried about the effect all this is going to have on them, but what can I do?

I've read through most of the pet-related posts, but I would greatly appreciate any info especially about Midwest. Thanks.

I AM MsRotti

Re: Flying Pets from Northern Westchester, NY to Las Vegas

Postby I AM MsRotti » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:12 pm

I hope I'm not too late. One thing I do know is animal transport. Please ground transport with a great transporter. Animals do not fly well and many many animals have bad experiences with airlines.

I would be very happy to help you find one.

danix

Postby danix » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:05 am

I wouldn't do ground transport, it takes far too long.

We're moving to SF from NY, and our Lab is flying with us (in the cargo area). AA charges $100, Delta a little less, Jetblue will not fly pets at all unless they fit in a carrier at your feet.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:21 am

I would re think that. Some animal transport companies are very comfortable, nurturing and quite nice. The transport company I am using has a great reputation and very nice accomodations. Walks and breaks every two hours, air conditioned van, toys treats and on board vet tech.
They have a list of foods to be given to the animals and only let the animals drink bottle water....etc.

I am a rescue and have researched and talked with many fellow rescuers and have come to the conclusion this is the best way.

danix

Postby danix » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:38 pm

I wasn't aware of the temperature restriction. AA says most likely our dog will not be able to fly with us - if the temperature anywhere along the way is over 85deg, they won't take him. AA cargo has the same restriction.

Now I'm not sure what to do...

Christine D

Postby Christine D » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:38 pm

I just moved from TX to RI with one dog in cabin and one dog in cargo. I did PLENTY of research on this for the very reason that it is summer and most airlines will not fly pets in cargo. I called about five airlines and the only airline I could find that would fly my pet was Continental. First, they fly the pets in a cargo area (opposed to flying with luggage). The pets go some place else in the airplane instead of next to the luggage. This place is AIR CONDITIONED and makes all the difference when flying in the summer.

Not only that, but I found Continental ridiculously helpful by answering all of my questiones. I was extremely late for my flight and they allowed me to board my dog in cargo pet with only 5 minutes to spare (very quick, too!). She cost almost $200 but was well worth it - you can even accumulate miles for each dollar spent when you send anything via cargo. I ended up flying to Boston (an hr drive from Providence) because it was a direct flight... if you can do that, I highly suggest it.

Continental even has a program called PetSafe. I don't know about other hubs, but they have a boarding area for pets at Houston's Bush International Airport.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:20 pm

PetSafe has been mentioned here before. There are also several threads on this website discussing how to transport animals. (Search on "pet" or "animal" to see them.) Here is one that describes Northwest Airlines' pet transport program in the last, very detailed post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2276

GreenMotion

Postby GreenMotion » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:39 pm

I flew with my cat back and forth from Houston TX, to Amsterdam the Netherlands. I also utilized Continental's Pet Safe Program.

I was really impressed. Unlike other airlines, they did not have a temperature restriction. I checked my cat in with at Continental's Quick Pack desk, where they took care of his paperwork and placed him in a temporary Air conditioned holding area. Only AFTER all the luggage has been loaded on the plane, they load the animals. Ofcourse, anyone can make that claim, but I was fortunate enough to sit on the side of the plane where they were loading.

About 30 minutes before taxi'ing, I saw a Continental van pull up next to the plane with a cute picture of a cat and dog on it, and the words PetSafe. It sat there for a good 15 minutes with the engine running, waiting for the luggage to finish loading I suppose. Which is good, since that keeps the animals air conditioned. Only after that had been completed, did they unload the animals from the van and load them on the plane. So, the animals were never on the tar-mack for more than a minute or so. Right after they were put on the plane, the pilot instructed the passengers that we were going to taxi to the runway.

So, all in all, the pets were Air Conditioned pretty much the whole time.

In the air I asked the stewardess whether or not she could confirm my cat was onboard. She told me she'd ask the captain and returned within 5 minutes to confirm this was indeed the case.

I am very pleased with Continental's petsafe program. I will not fly with my cat again unless absolutely necesarry, since it has slightly traumatized him. But if I do ever have to fly with him again, you betcha it's going to be with continental.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:00 pm

I just fly my dog and cat from Los Angeles to NYC. I used Pacific Pet out of Redondo Beach. www.pacpet.com

They are very professional and caring. My cat was very scared but that's a cat for you. I told them I wanted them to fly them with ONLY Continental Airlines. They have a Pet Safe program. They had to fly into Newark which was no big deal..

I first thought about Ground Transport. After thinking about it I think its a bad idea. They are in cages for maybe 3 to 4 days with strangers and not let out very often. Better to do the flying.

Return to “Open Community”