Philly to NYC 7/06

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dc-ny-phl

Philly to NYC 7/06

Postby dc-ny-phl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:49 pm

I posted here a couple years ago about my (very good) experience moving within Philly with Action Enterprises (actually, the name is offcially Action Enterprize). I'm pleased to report that a month ago we had a similarly great experience moving with them back to New York from Philadelphia.

This was a complicated move (a four-story townhouse to an elevator building in Manhattan, plus a second stop in suburban Long Island) but Jerry (the owner) did a virtuoso job split-loading the truck and directing his crew of two helpers. They cleared our house out in less than two hours, and despite traffic/direction/elevator issues, the whole move, including the two destination stops, took less than eight hours. The price was considerably less than the quote I got from Shlepper's, the NYC-based company I had used to go from NY to Philly a few years before (and been happy with). I also called Mambo in Philly, which has gotten some good reviews on these boards, but they were unavailable for my move date.

Dealing with a very personable and professional owner/operator like Jerry was definitely a plus. The only drawback was that it took him several days to get to our house to do the estimate. But I put this down to his being a lot busier than he was two years ago, which I can hardly begrudge! I think the moral of the story is that if you've had a good experience, go back to that firm, and don't be shy about reminding them you're a repeat customer. It's not just good for you, it helps keep the good guys in business.

MusicMom

Re: Philly to NYC 7/06

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:59 am

For anyone interested in the original comments, here they are (about halfway down the thread)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594

My only concern is that Action is not licensed to move people to other states.

dc-ny-phl

Postby dc-ny-phl » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:08 pm

That might well be right--I chose to not press too hard on that one after deciding that my previous experience plus the fact that we weren't moving a huge amount of stuff (and none of that especially valuable) made it a risk I was willing to take.

I should also mention that I liked the fact that I was able to get an in-home estimate and a flat rate from Jerry, whereas Shlepper's was a phone quote based on cubic feet. When I had moved with Shlepper's from NY to Philly three years ago I paid with a credit card, and that made up for the cubic-foot phone quote because I knew a major dispute could be handled through the credit card co. Now they seem to only accept credit cards for deposits.

One final thing to add. Shlepper's told me that I needed to check if the building we were moving into required a Certificate of Insurance for liability reasons. I hadn't remembered this from when we left New York, but perhaps some buildings are now requiring it (ours didn't). It's probably worth checking with building management well ahead of time, since if they do it might affect which movers you can use.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:29 pm

I believe that there is an "urban zone" including Philadelphia and southern NJ within which movers can operate without interstate licensing authority, but I also believe that NYC and Long Island are beyond that zone.

Could Jerry have provided that Certificate of Insurance? This is a very important point because many buildings in the NY metro area have such a requirement.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:47 pm

Certificates of Insurance are quite common for large apt complexes, gated communities, and high rise apts.

It normally takes very little time for the mover to call the insurance carrier, and have them fax a copy of the certificate to the bldg owner/mgmt naming them as additional insured for the duration of the move.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

dc-ny-phl

Postby dc-ny-phl » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:12 pm

it didn't come up, because the building we moved to didn't require it. But I assume it would not have been a problem. The last time I looked at Action on Safersys I believe the insurance coverage amount was listed there.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:50 pm

Insurance is not listed for Action, since they FMCSA handles that. Action does not have an interstate license, so no FMCSA report to list insurance on.

I am glad you had a good move, but if someone else comes here asking about them, despite your great review, we're going to have to steer the customer elsewhere.

Return to “Open Community”