Anyone know anything about Louis Van Lines (Hyde Park, MA)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
timby007

Anyone know anything about Louis Van Lines (Hyde Park, MA)

Postby timby007 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:11 am

Hi,

I found this site after researching moving companies. I posted my info on 123moving.com and came to this site right after. I was amused to see how bad a mistake I almost made. Five movers on that site called me back within 30 minutes, like they were scrambling to dupe someone new. I called none of them back after reading through this site. So, thanks for that.

I got a quote from a company called Louis Van Lines from Hyde Park, MA. I am moving within the state (Worcester to Taunton) with a 50-60 mile move. I am coming from a 2100 sq. ft. split level to a 2300 sq. ft. colonial. Louis sent out a rep to give a quote and he quoted $1580 for four guys and two trucks (24" and 26"). Also, included in that price is the fact we have to move out on Sunday and can't move in until Tuesday due to closing dates. This means we have to have the movers store our stuff. Is this advisable?

After getting general quotes from other movers (some mentioned on this site), I am finding it would be on average $1800-$1900 to make my move. Should I be worried about this quote from Louis Van Lines? It seems awfully low. I looked on the BBB and they have three complaints in the last 24 months, which I'm told isn't bad. This is the first time we're hiring a moving company, so I want to avoid a lot of the horror stories I've read here. Thanks.

MusicMom

Re: Anyone know anything about Louis Van Lines (Hyde Park, M

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:21 am

I don't see anything wrong with Louis' quote, but I'm not a professional. I suggest you get two more companies for an in-home estimate for comparison.

This link has lists of movers in MA with good and bad reviews. You can pull a couple names from there and call them.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7599#57599

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 am

I just don't like the look of this company. How did they get your contact information? The website at www.louisvanlines.com is registered to Louis Murat. Its graphics and language are similar to those we see all the time with scam companies. On safersys.org it shows only 1 van and 1 driver (this is a "van line"?) with a 100% out of service rating for the driver. It has been licensed to do interstate moves only since January 2006 yet states on its website (copyright 2005) that it can do them.

Although there are no significant complaints about these guys on the Internet as yet, I agree with MM - get other quotes. I myself would not use them.

timby007

Postby timby007 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:26 am

Thanks for the input. I've been doing a good bit of research on them and their blanket company is Evilsizor Transportation, which has not the best reputation around here from what I've read. They did give me a Binding estimate and it wasn't to exceed 25% of the etimated cost, so I guess that's a good thing.

To answer the question of how they got my info, I contacted them first by phone.

Again, thanks for the info.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:38 am

The problem with Binding estimates is that everything depends on the ethics of the owner of the company. He/she can easily "unbind" the estimate by saying that you have more stuff than you indicated, by using more packing materials, or by any number of similar ploys. Your best bet is to go with a company that has performed well for people in the past or comes recommended by someone that you trust. In my post on Massachusetts linked to below, I talk about Gentle Giant (pricey), Marathon Moving, and Big Foot as being three companies that I myself would use based on what has been said here.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Re: Anyone know anything about Louis Van Lines (Hyde Park, MA)

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:05 pm

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14651

That link is a detailed customer account of a move with Louis Van Lines.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:20 am

RUN AWAY FROM THEN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Look under "Report A Scam" to get a review. 8)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:33 am

The review Big Dog's referring to is the one I linked to just above. More info has been added to it, just click to read.

Return to “Open Community”