NJ->MI 8/24 Have some questions

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
amountee

NJ->MI 8/24 Have some questions

Postby amountee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:58 am

Hi! I have been reviewing the site for about a week now getting ready for my move from Morris County,NJ to Genessee County, MI. I got three quotes from:

Wade Odell Wade (United) Midland Park, NJ 5550 lbs $2718.29 (non-binding)

Central Moving (Mayflower) Bridgewater, NJ 5500 lbs $2593.52 (NB)

University (Atlas) Rahway, NJ 4800 lbs $2792,90 (NB) 5250lbs $2955.98 (B)
Also, on the University form, Michael penned in under additional services Possible Shuttle at Destination $498 (What is that???)

After looking over our home and after we had gotten the estimates, my husband and I decided to part with our 16ft3 upright freezer, queen size bed and triple dresser with mirror. I figure that would reduce the weight by about maybe 450-500 lbs. Also it would reduce packing/unpacking of the mattresses and mirror.

Overall we feel most comfortable with Wade Odell. All the reps answered all our questions well and were professional. Wade Odell gave us the shortest transit window so that is probably why we are leaning towards them.

My questions: Since we have reduced our weight should we tell them to readjust the estimate or wont it matter. Also what is the possible shuttle at destination University wrote in?? Should I worry about other "hidden" charges? Are there other companies that someone could recommend from Northern NJ?

Something else: We are also transporting our 92 Caddy to MI. Its in good working condition but with three children under 6 I dont think we want to drive two separate cars. I got a rate of $550 from DAS. Intercity gave me a rate of $800 in an enclosed container. Its an old car so I dont know if its worth the extra money. Also, the front windshield has a crack across it so if it is in an open transport do u think it would break.

Thanks for your help.

Diane

Re: NJ->MI 8/24 Have some questions

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:58 am

amountee wrote:My questions: Since we have reduced our weight should we tell them to readjust the estimate or wont it matter. Also what is the possible shuttle at destination University wrote in?? Should I worry about other "hidden" charges? Are there other companies that someone could recommend from Northern NJ?

Something else: We are also transporting our 92 Caddy to MI. Its in good working condition but with three children under 6 I dont think we want to drive two separate cars. I got a rate of $550 from DAS. Intercity gave me a rate of $800 in an enclosed container. Its an old car so I dont know if its worth the extra money. Also, the front windshield has a crack across it so if it is in an open transport do u think it would break.

Thanks for your help.

Hi - I would stick with WOW and not get additional quotes but I would ask them to readjust the estimate. While they're at it, can they give you a GNTE (Option C) quote? Not a deal-breaker because the company is reliable, but nice to have.

Mike Carolan was probably just being careful and that's why he mentioned the possibility of a shuttle at destination. I don't think you'll need one, but it's always good to know about possible added costs.

I don't know much about auto transport or the windshield issue. If Intercity could guarantee you that the car would arrive on a certain day it might be worth paying the extra $250 for the sake of convenience since I assume that you don't want to be without a second car for long.

amountee

Postby amountee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:10 am

As for having the car on a specific day that really isnt an issue for me. My parents live nearby in MI and have an extra car. I was just worried about the crack in the windshield - wondering if anybody could comment on that.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:12 am

You might try calling Ben Deere at www.coasttocoastauto.com and ask his opinion. He should be able to give you an unbiased answer since you're not considering his company and he uses open carriers. Just say you were referred by MovingScam.com.

Out of curiosity, who was your rep from WOW?

amountee

Postby amountee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:46 am

Jim Murphy came over last week and gave us an estimate. I just spoke to Elizabeth and she said that we would probably have a 3-6 transit window. Sounds good to me if all goes through well.
The other two estimates put me at an 2-18 day window.
I'm going to give that individual a call and see what he says about the windshield. The last thing I want is broken glass everywhere.
Thanks for everybody's help.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:55 am

Amountee,

The reason he wrote it in is because it is required by law to show on your estimate "Unknown destination charges", not because he was being careful. I am not sure why Diane quoted it as that.

If the other two companies did not put it in their quotes it tells me a few things. Their sales people are not up to date on the current requirements of the tariff and quotes be given to customers. They dont care or they dont know enoguh to ask.

So yes you can be charged and collected for such a fee if a shuttle occurs "IF" it is on the estimate and the order for service as required by law.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

amountee

Postby amountee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:02 pm

So what exactly is a "shuttle"?

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:09 pm

A shuttle is required when the 18 wheeler delivering your goods cannot access your apartment, home or townhome at destination and must utilize the services of a smaller truck to shuttle items from the 18 wheeler to the smaller truck to your home.

Even if you as the consumer feel your home is accessible to an 18 wheeler they should still put it in the quote as unknown destination charges to cover their ass. Most consumers think a boat could get into a sardeen can. And lastly, its not your call or the sales persons call as to whether a shuttle is required or not, it is the drivers call.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

amountee

Postby amountee » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:25 pm

Spoke to Ben at coasttocoast and he told me that the windshield would not break but possibly the crack could get longer. To me this isnt a problem, its an old car and Im just going to keep on using it as long as its got a heartbeat.

I just didnt want to spend too much money transporting an old car. I got a quote of around $525 from DAS from the Linden NJ terminal to a Detroit terminal (Taylor, Troy I forget which one exactly). Im not too concerned on an exact day so I hope everything goes well with them.

So now I think I am pretty much set. WOW for my household goods and DAS for auto. Ill keep you posted as things progress.

Thanks again for all your advice.

amountee

Postby amountee » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:34 am

Hi again!

Well the move is over and we are finally getting the final touches in our new home. Overall the move was a great experience. We went with Wade Odell Wade. Our move was pretty simple - mostly boxes. We had gotten rid almost all of our furniture so there really wasnt much to be worried about getting broken or scratched.
We were estimated at around 4800-5200 pounds and ended up being 3600 pounds.

On Wendsday the day of our move, Jose was our driver and he met us in NJ and MI. He came with three other workers in NJ and everything went quickly. Everything was in the truck in about 2 hours. Friendly guys and very effecient.

In MI Jose met us next Tuesday (six days) with one of the workers from New Jersey. Unloading was quite simple as well. I had packed everything originally and nothing was damaged.

Considering the time to deliver our items and the effeciency of the workers and their friendly attitudes I would recommend WOW to others.

The only person I would complain about would be Lisa (if I remember her name correctly). She was our moving consultant in the NJ office. We called several times to ask about our delivery date and she didnt have a pleasant attitude. Also she wouldnt return our calls.

We used DAS for our vehicle move. We dropped off our vehicle in Linden NJ and picked it up from Taylor MI. After we dropped off the car in Linden we get a call from a worker half an hour later that the driverside window would not go up or down. That was very strange because my husband had just used the window and nothing was wrong with it and it never got stuck before. Since we were late for an appointment we didnt drive back and they taped it up ( I wasnt with my husband when he picked it up so I dont know exactly how they did that).
At delivery in Michigan (I wasnt at pickup so I cant comment on the workers etc.) the brakes were not working. The brake fluid was leaking and there was a dent in the brake fluid container (sorry I am really techinical with cars). My husband was told to take it to a repair shop down the road but that repair station wouldnt have it repaired for another day. My husband towed the car to a repair shop near our home with AAA and had everything fixed there (the brake fluid tank and the window). I am submitting a claim now for the damages so I dont know how that will work out. I opted out of the additional insurance.
I wasnt extremely pleased or disatisfied with the vehicle move. It was just ok. It reached within the time frame specified and if they pay out for the damages I will be satisfied. There might be better companies for vehicle moves but if DAS is your only choice or offers a competitive price I would consider them again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:42 pm

Thanks for the good report on WOW. People should note that this was a self-haul (the driver who picked up your things was the one who delivered them). In this situation there is much less likelihood of damage and much more likelihood of timely delivery - 6 days in your case. I'll add your review to my Superlist under NJ movers. Was your move coordinator Lauren Adessi rather than "Lisa"? If so, someone mentioned before that she was hard to reach.

I also posted your review of DAS. Please keep us posted on what happens with your damage claim. My impression was that if you don't buy the extra insurance their liability is limited to $100.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”