Iowa move report--Hemmen Moving and Storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
emily3cat

Iowa move report--Hemmen Moving and Storage

Postby emily3cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:48 pm

It's been awhile since I moved, but since I got help here, I should post my experience here.

I was having problems finding a mover to move me from Chicago to Iowa. (See my post "Rejected for Chicago move"). I was going to drive a truck myself and was looking for help unloading a truck in Iowa. i was having trouble finding a crew, so i started calling local moving companies trying to hire an unload crew.

Though a little misunderstanding, i ended up talking with a moving company who gave me a quote for driving a truck from Iowa to Chicago and then driving back the next day. The quote ended up being less than I was going to pay to rent the truck, pay for gas, and hire crews on both ends. Hurrah for misunderstandings! The coordinator was the company owner, Darren Hemmen.

That's just what they did: two guys drove a truck to Chicago and loaded the truck; then they drove halfway back to Iowa, spent the night (there was a small surcharge--under $100 for the hotel for them), and unloaded it in Iowa the next day. Can't beat that with a stick. The same two guys did the entire job, my stuff never sat in a warehouse. The load was picked up on Monday and delivered on Tuesday. Nothing was broken. They were careful with the unload at my new home and had a sense of humor.

The only little hitch, which was solved, came when the person I hired to be the move supervisor at my Chicago apartment (I was already gone) told the two movers that I didn't want the sofabed anymore. They suggested throwing it off the 3rd floor because it was so heavy. Reason prevailed, and the couch wasn't thrown off and another solution was found. All in all, not so bad for movers doing a third floor walkup in Chicago heat.

The name is Hemmen, and they are out of Boone, Iowa: http://www.hemmenmovingservice.com/

emily3cat

Re: Iowa move report--Hemmen Moving and Storage

Postby emily3cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:14 pm

I should have also said that it's a terrific thing that this site is around. The people are so dedicated to helping each other out. I've told several people about it when they were preparing to move.

Keep up the good work!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks - I added this review to my summary post. If you see this, I would be interested in what size load you had, how much they charged you, and whether they charged by distance or hours or both.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

emily3cat

Postby emily3cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:14 pm

76/hour to load/unload
$3.10/mile -- loaded miles only
$99 one time trip charge
$75 one time overnight charge
$45 fuel surcharge (.04% of mileage fee) if diesel remains above $2.00 per gallon

We are estimating

3 hours to load ------------ $228.00
356 miles ------------------- $1,103.60
2 hours to unload -------- $152.00
1 overnight ---------------- $ 75.00
1 Trip charge -------------- $ 99.00
Fuel surcharge 1103.60 times 04 $44.14

emily3cat

Postby emily3cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:24 pm

I should have included: it was a large one-bedroom apartment. In past moves when I had less stuff I had 2500 pounds. I would bet I added at least half-again to twice the amount of stuff since that move, but I don't know.

There was a deposit required. I know that this is not popular and a real no-no for the major van lines, but they were driving out just to get my stuff so I didn't think that this was that bad. Nothing fishy went on money-wise.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:24 pm

I liked the way their website sounded and I don't blame them for asking for a deposit in a situation like this. They were driving 350 miles to get your stuff.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:59 pm

Unique tariff!! All those guys that subscribe to the 400-N should petition the HGB to use it as model in the new rate construction. Any rating instrument that allows a business to cover all of their costs AND make a reasonable profit on EVERY job would undoubtedly receive unanimous approval.

emily3cat

Postby emily3cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:34 pm

Well, I'm happy I didn't come off looking like a dumb bunny.

I had done my research here and was happy with the terms of the agreement. It also helped that I was moving to the location where the seat of the business was (so I could annoy the company to no end if they had done me wrong).

But they didn't. It was a good move, and I used them again to move me locally.

Return to “Open Community”