*atlas or united -- help me decide

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mi2kshop

*atlas or united -- help me decide

Postby mi2kshop » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:06 pm

Hello everyone,

Last month I had posted about exploring BE for a move from Detroit burbs to DC burbs that included a piano. Well, now we are on the verge of choosing from one of 2 full service movers. I found them mentioned on this board with a few positive reviews.

Corrigan, a United affiliate, at Farmington Hills, MI quoted me $3154 for 8500 lb, with a not to exceed amount of $3439. DMS, an Atlas affiliate, at Canton, MI quoted $3438 for a 9350 lb estimate. Sales rep and support from both companies have been very professional.

Does anyone have any input about any intangibles that will help me decide?

An aside about BE -- I got a quote of $2924 for the same move. I worked with Diana (who has been very nice and helpful) on this and she seemed puzzled that the full service quotes were so low compared to BE's.

mi2kshop

mi2kshop

Re: atlas or united -- help me decide

Postby mi2kshop » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 pm

Let me add to my previous post. What questions should I ask the sales rep that may help me decide?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 pm

Both are top quality companies. Just pick one and move. Goo with the lower bid. Corrigan.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:44 pm

I just moved from Detroit to Raleigh using Corringan and had a great experience. My brother moved from Detroit to St. Louis six years ago using DMS and he had a great expereince. I think you'll be safe either way.
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:51 pm

I agree with Eric.

It is a mystery why BE's quote was so similar. I tend to think the reason is more that the Corrigan and DMS quotes were kind of low for that distance than that the BE quote was kind of high. Also, BE quotes by state groupings, not mileage, and sometimes people can benefit from it (in a huge state like TX, for example) and sometimes not.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:56 pm

I agree to go with Corrigan. They are within 10% on DMS' weight and the cost is just under a 10% difference.

If DMS is correct on the weight, most drivers will protest if they think there is more then a 10% difference from what was estimated and what they think it will be.

Either way you cant go wrong with ither company.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

mi2kshop

Re: atlas or united -- help me decide/ Update on move

Postby mi2kshop » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:55 am

OK. So we went with Corrigan/United.

Yesterday was our move date. The truck came at 1pm instead of the promised 8:30am. It looked as if there was not enough space for our stuff. The driver kept hoping that everything would fit, but in the end a lot of stuff didn't. I think they spent a lot of time in trying to pack as tightly as possible. I was told that the previous load had ended up being 2000 lbs over the estimate.

At around 9pm the driver and the 2 helpers had an argument, and the helpers ended up leaving. At the time our driveway was full, and there were still things inside the house. In the interest of time, I ended up giving him a hand for some of the bulky stuff. By around 12 am, he had loaded whatever he could fit in the truck. He moved the rest of the stuff in our garage, which is where it is now.

At present we dont know what the plan is for the rest of our move. Yesterday's truck will be there in MD on Saturday. Looks like a test case for how good Corrigan is in responding to a difficult situation.

mi2kshop

Postby mi2kshop » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:09 am

I wouldreally appreciate any advice about how best to approach Corrigan about the situation (including any work-arounds I can suggest to them).

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:44 am

The best way is to maintain communication and flexibility. Do you know if the driver that loaded was a Corrigan driver? And if so I would point out to your coordinator that the drivers help left him high and dry.

One other thing to keep in mind, although he tried to get as much as he could onto his truck, the overflow was not his fault. But as he mentioned the shipment before yours that went over by 2000 pounds.

You should try to get an idea as to when Corrigan can get the rest of the shipment picked up and delivered. You might even want to ask them to pick it up locally and bring it back to their warehouse at their expense and hold it there until they can get a driver under it.

Hopefully he got what you wanted most for the first delivery and your not waiting long for things that you may not need right away.

Keep us posted,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Re: atlas or united -- help me decide/ Update on move

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:49 pm

mi2kshop wrote:Looks like a test case for how good Corrigan is in responding to a difficult situation.

I like your attitude. Many people would be seriously irate. You tried to make the best of a bad situation by helping the driver move stuff that was too bulky for one person. Yes . . . let's see how Corrigan responds.

mi2kshop

Re: *atlas or united -- help me decide

Postby mi2kshop » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am

It has been a chaotic month and a half since we moved. Our experience with Corrigan/United was not a good one. Details later.

We received the bill from them this week. I had a not to exceed estimate of $3154.98. My final bill is $4808.97 that also includes $539 for insurance that I purchased. Excluding the insurance the amount would be $4269.97, which is still a $1115 difference.

Let me ask a few questions regarding legitimacy of the items on the bill:

* Tariff: $3154.98 (no problems with this one)
* 10% fuel surcharge: $315.50
* 4% Ins. related revenue: $126.20
* Packing services: $284.05
* Unpacking services: $40.79
* Piano/Organ: $59.28
* Orig Serv Chrg: $173.96
* Dest Serv Chrg: $115.21

All these add up to the $4269.97 amount. I would like to know if there are charges here that should not be.

Let me also add that there were no significant changes in the things that got moved (as compared to what the estimate was based on).

Thanks in advance.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:36 am

Hi - it looks as if there was some kind of misunderstanding. In your original post you said this:
Corrigan, a United affiliate, at Farmington Hills, MI quoted me $3154 for 8500 lb, with a not to exceed amount of $3439. . . .
An aside about BE -- I got a quote of $2924 for the same move. I worked with Diana (who has been very nice and helpful) on this and she seemed puzzled that the full service quotes were so low compared to BE's

It appears that you were initially quoting only the TRANSPORTATION charge and not the whole charge for the move including fuel surcharge, IRR, origin/destination fee, packing/unpacking, piano fee, etc. - all of which are completely legitimate charges, but they should have been included in the initial quote. I don't know whether the Corrigan rep messed up or whether you misunderstood. (I am disregarding the $3439 vs. $3154 discrepancy for the moment.)

This also makes it clear why the Corrigan quote initially seemed to be so close to the BE quote, which puzzled everybody. The Corrigan quote should actually have been $4269.97 vs. BE's $2924. This makes sense because BE is usually about 30%-40% less than a full-service mover. $2924 is 32% less than $4270.

Looking forward to your description of the whole experience, but the charges are legitimate.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:49 pm

Even though the charges appear legitimate, if it is the fault of the estimator that certain charges didn't get included in your estimate (since I am familiar with United estimates all the charges should have been included, and the piano should have been included as a bulky article)

The intangible is how old the estimate was before the move. The one thing that the van line has no control over is the fuel surcharge. Just like the cost of fuel fluctuates, so does the fuel surcharge. It is based on the DOE (Dept of Energy) diesel fuel costs based on the national averages as of the first week of each month. So if fuel prices rise, the fuel surcharge does. If fuel costs drop, so the fuel surcharge drops.

It looks like the $3439 included what amounts to the linehaul and fuel surcharge. The origin/dest svc charges should have been added, as well as valuation, had you selected valuation prior to the move.

The other thing is did they give you a weight of the entire shipment?

If you feel that the sales person misrepresented the charges, you can always ask them to honor the estimated charges, since the error was theirs and not yours. In the interest of good customer relations, they might consider your request.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

mi2kshop

Postby mi2kshop » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:54 pm

At the time of my last post I had misplaced my original estimate. I got a copy from Corrigan. It is clear from the estimate that they had included the fuel surcharge, IRR, orig and dest fees in the estimate, whereas the bill lists them in addition. Piano was listed separately in the estimate. I will probably have some questions regarding specific items within packing and unpacking charges as well -- I will have to tally what exactly they had packed.

I have mentioned it to them, but have not heard back yet.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:20 pm

Have you gone to United HQ directly to complain? Sometimes that puts a fire under their rears.

Return to “Open Community”