McCollisters/United New Jersey, positive review

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PatR

McCollisters/United New Jersey, positive review

Postby PatR » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:54 pm

My new neighbors who moved here from Iowa used McCollisters, New Jersey/United for their move and they had a really positive experience with them. I spoke with her today and I want to tell you that they had a lot of heavy furniture, curio cabinets, filing cabinets, bedroom sets, etc. and many expensive items. This is along with the antiques that were moved that made it all in one piece. She told me the only exception was a clock that her mother had as a child. The boy who packed it was working for the summer as he had for three summers now and he put two pieces of white wrapping paper inside the back of the clock and subsequently broke the mechanism to make it tick. They filed a claim with United and they're paying for the repair of this clock. This is the move that I said I stood and watched (neighbors who were moving in above my old apartment) (not to be confused with the neighbors who moved last week with ABF to Montana).
All in all she said that the move went very smoothly. Her husband's company paid for this move and hired the moving company. It was a full service move and they arrived completely on time in the window of time that they were contracted for. They arrived exactly on the date and the move from trailer to apartment went very well. This is the part of the move that I witnessed. The movers handled their belongings very carefully and carried things up the stairs to the rooms that they were to go to. They also assembled furniture that needed to be assembled and never complained about doing so. The moving crew left with smiles on their faces and friendly goodbyes were exchanged between shipper and movers. Every last piece of furniture that needed to be moved inside was accounted for. They had stuff that needed to go to storage and so the movers placed it in storage. I went to inspect the storage this week with the shipper (my neighbor) and it looked very organized and she said that everything is accounted for.
She said that she would recommend McCollisters/United for other shippers. The only problem she encountered really was that the high school boy should've taken a little more care in packing ...that was all though.

PatR

Diane

Re: McCollisters/United New Jersey, positive review

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:09 pm

Thanks, Pat. So that I can put this review in the proper place, I wonder which branch of McCollister's moved your neighbor, since they don't have a location in Iowa (?). Possibly McCollister's was the hauling agent and the booking agent in Iowa was some other United company (?).

PatR

Postby PatR » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:16 pm

Her husband's company is in Iowa, anyway the one that he was transferred from...I'll call her in a little while to ask her some more information on this move.
I'm assumming for the moment that the United had to be from Iowa but she definitely knew of McCollisters from New Jersey as being the one's who was involved somehow. I think they're the ones that came to their home in Iowa to pack for the move to California (She mentioned the boy being from McCollisters)...Their belongings were the only ones on the truck when it arrived in California, this I know for a fact. When the truck arrived here UNITED was written on the truck.

PatR

Postby PatR » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:34 pm

UPDATE on the move by McCollisters

I spoke with my neighbor again today and she said that the company her husband works for has offices in PA and surrounding areas in the New England states. This is how McCollister's was chosen by the company to move them. The company who came to pack them was affiliated with McCollisters somehow but she didn't know the name. She said that McCollisters was there to oversee the packing. The curio cabinets that she has are large upright and then she has one that's an heirloom curio passed down from her Mom, it's about thigh high. She told me how they took the shelves out of the cabinets and individually wrapped them, placing them in a special box. Then blankets were wrapped around the cabinets and reverse taped. Of all the belongings that were shipped out here, they all arrived in excellent condition (I've seen it all). I was told that there were a couple of boxes that looked as though something had either poked them or something in the load pierced them but there was no damage to the contents. They had boxes that were specifically marked to place on the top of the load and so they were. She said that they're very pleased with how well the move went and happy that United is taking care of the clock that got broken. It just will begin to tick and stop ticking so that needs to be repaired. I would say that after viewing their belongings I'm amazed that it all arrived in such excellent condition ...it traveled here from Iowa through many states...Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, the tip of Arizona and Nevada then on to California. They purchased livingroom furniture once they arrived here but it wasn't delivered until just this week. They wanted to have everything all situated before they would take delivery.
I just wanted to give this update for anyone else considering McCollisters.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:53 pm

McCollisters was the booking and destination agent and self hauled the move because it was an account.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

PatR

Postby PatR » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:00 pm

The United truck is the one that pulled up in the driveway...Diane was wondering why when they were moving from Iowa did McCollisters come to obtain the move.

Pat

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:51 pm

National account......This is very common in the vanline biz...

PatR

Postby PatR » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:55 pm

The point of this thread was to show that the neighbors had a positive experience with the vanline.

Thanks
Pat~

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:35 pm

The origin agent that did the inventory in Iowa must have been another United company, and the people that came to do the packing in Iowa (including the boy) must have been from another company too, although the driver was a McCollister's driver. (Unless the driver had the boy riding with him or something.) So it's hard to know which company in Iowa this really was that did the inventory and packing (packing, not loading). This kind of confusion just shows that customers in many cases have absolutely no idea which company did the inventory and packed them, and it's probably no accident because McCollister's wants to be seen as the company that performed the move.

Anyway, this was a corporate move so we would expect it to go better than a COD move paid for by an individual.

Mr B

Postby Mr B » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Anyway, this was a corporate move so we would expect it to go better than a COD move paid for by an individual.

Something about that statement seems biased.That is not always the case.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:55 pm

You would not treat a repeat customer better (even unconciously) than a one-time customer?

Mr B

Postby Mr B » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:58 pm

I treat ALL my customers exactly the same. :D

PatR

Postby PatR » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:03 pm

Okay Everyone, thanks for the replies...I'm pretty much done with this thread.

Have a nice weekend!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:41 pm

Mr B, your company must be pretty good, then. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks like you.

Pat, thanks for getting thie review passed on from your neighbors.

PatR

Postby PatR » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:57 am

Diane
She told me that it was McCollisters who came to the residence in Iowa and then another company (that was affiliated with McCollisters) came to do the packing and loading. She was very clear who came to the residence in Iowa and then I saw the truck (UNITED) unloading the belongings here in California. She told me that McCollisters actually did two moves (their's and another) the same week here in Fresno and they were identical in the way that they were handled. Apparently another company uses the services to move employees and that was discussed here as corporate accounts.
I'm going to go ...I'm exhausted and just need to end my replies here...I don't want this thread to turn into anything like the other one.

MM, you're quite welcome...I just thought by adding a positive experience by a consumer that it would help others make a decision as to which company to use, I really do hope that it helps.

PatR

Return to “Open Community”