Third time is not a charm

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Unhappy U-Haul Customer

Third time is not a charm

Postby Unhappy U-Haul Customer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Supposedly "reserved" a truck for a one-way move tomorrow. Got hotel reservations, made appointments with utilities and the new landord, etc -woops! - no truck.

That's the third time in a row for me. Obviously, I'm a slow learner. Well, already called Penske and Budget and I'll have the truck I need tomorrow - but not a U-Haul.

And, the earlier posts about bad equipment - when I eventually got a truck the first 2 times (either different than what I "reserved" or at DOUBLE! the cost), it was the worst piece of machinery I had driven in my life.

I have finally learned my lesson.

MusicMom

Re: Third time is not a charm

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:11 pm

I think UHaul's biggest issue is people not returning trucks on time, therefore people reserving afterwards don't have trucks. They are reserving out every truck they have, but I think there should be less reservations than trucks, just in case this happens.

Keep this in mind when any of you rent a truck, if you keep it over your time period, someone else is going to suffer.

PatR

Postby PatR » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:41 pm

MusicMom wrote:Keep this in mind when any of you rent a truck, if you keep it over your time period, someone else is going to suffer.

MM, I think that statement there should be in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS...some people don't realize that by not turning in a truck on time that someone else is waiting in line for that truck. With summer being the busiest time of the year, it's even more critical to return the trucks. If someone would try to think ahead of the timespan that they'll need the truck and reserve those times accordingly, there might be fewer "overtime" trucks out there. I wish more people would come here before a move because there are volunteers who can just tell them a rough time frame for the size of residence they have and what it would take to move it. It's still a "guesstimate" but it's more of an accurate "guesstimate" than one they would do on their own. Sometimes the employees who book with the self moving companies are people who haven't worked there all that long (ie, a college student's summer job and income for school books and expenses for the upcoming year) or aren't even as sure as the shipper themselves. I know when I was going to move to Fresno, the person on the phone with me making reservations didn't have a clue about the amount of time that I would need the U-Haul and that's when I decided that I had too many other questionable variables to even consider a self move. The icing on the cake was when she couldn't advise me of a time frame to keep the truck.

PatR

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:28 am

That extra day, could also be the day that truck is scheduled for maintainance which leads to poor equipment.

The other side of the story...I would rather have a driver arrive late than not at all because he fell asleep behind the wheel trying to keep a "schedule". Some people do not figure in how far away the destnation is and the type of highways and terrain they will drove across.

It is easy to say "don't schedule as tight" but the trucks don't make money siiting in a yard.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:22 am

Guilt is making me say this:

When my hubby and I first got married and made our first move together, we rented a UHaul to get our stuff into storage for the summer in Ann Arbor. The truck would not start after we loaded it up. We called their customer service line for assistance, and waited nearly 4 hours (it was the last weekend in May) for someone to show. When they hadn't yet after that long time, we tried the truck again and it started. So we lost 4 hours, and ended up not having enough time to unload the truck into storage. We had to keep the truck an extra day. We finished unloading as soon as the storage place opened the next morning and returned it around 10 am, but by then, the person who was scheduled to have it next had to be given a truck from a UHaul place in Detroit.

This was after the same thing happened to us, I think the truck that we used came from Lansing, we also lost 2 hours waiting for it to arrive in the morning.

So yes, a lot of it poor planning on th part of the customer, but there are often extenuating circumstances with UHaul.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:14 am

U-haul is well documented for its poor maintainence programs.

They are so low priced, effective maintainance is impossible. Fix what has to be fixed and get the truck back on the road.

My fleet is safetied every six months, trailers are serviced at that time. tractors are serviced every 6,000 miles (roughly 5-6 weeks). The accounting dept. keeps screaming about the maintainance bills. Can't buy new equipment with revenue falling through the floor but can't afford to continue repairing old equipment.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:38 pm

And what am I doing tomorrow? I have to rent a UHaul cargo van to get stuff from storage back to the house to load on the BE truck. But the cargo vans (not box trucks) at our local ship are fairly new, and the lady on the phone today said they had no reservations and several in the lot. Crossing my fingers.

poke out my eardrums

Postby poke out my eardrums » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:43 pm

<snip>

PatR

Postby PatR » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:09 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: You're absolutely despicable :!: :!: :!: :!: I hope those that can ban your IP address do just that and that you never have access to this website again!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Return to “Report A Scam”