Question about payment?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Moving north

Question about payment?

Postby Moving north » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:12 pm

I have a question regarding payment. I'm interested in a company that doesn't take credit cards (except to hold a reservation). Half of the payment is due on the moving day in the form of cash or cashier's check. The other half is due the next day upon delivery, also in the form of cash or cashier's check. Is this OK?

Fred0844

Re: Question about payment?

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:16 pm

I would be very concerned. Who is the company?

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:34 pm

That is not normal for a reputable moving company. Be very cautious!!

Personally, I recommend choosing another provider.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:30 pm

Fred0844 wrote:I would be very concerned. Who is the company?

Agosti's Moving and Storage. They are listed on BBB, but I would prefer to use my credit card for various reasons.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:36 pm

We're seeing a lot of bad movers taking larger and larger lump sums up front. Some customers are cancelling their moves in mid-stride because the movers have stalled the move. The load is sitting in a warehouse for a month or more, and the customer gets fed up and comes to take thier stuff back (and has to pay another mover for a complete move). The original company doesn't mind, it's gotten a hefty payment for one day's work, and now doesn't have to go through the trouble of delivering and dealing with the customer again. If they will indeed take a cashier's check and just not a credit card payment, they are probably afraid the customer will dispute the payment and win after the move goes badly.

Also, "cash or money orders only" statements are highly suspect because they are untraceable payments, and usually are not reported as income to pay taxes on.

Now, if you're saying they will be delivering the next day, either it is a small move going across a couple states at most, or it is a large local move that will take the whole day to pack. If you are going across state lines, I highly suggest you check the company's status with the FMCSA. There are tips in the box at the top left of this page that can walk you through checking of their license.

And also please do a search with the company's name in quotes. See if they've been discussed before.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/search.php

Are they in your hometown? Have you set up an appointment for them to come to your house to view everything that's going to get an accurate estimate? Ar are they relying on you to provide an inventory? Customer-provided inventories are correct maybe one in several thousand times. Well, "correct" meaning the mover does not accuse you of adding on items or tells you you have more weight than your inventory said, so they have to charge you more.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:03 pm

Is this the mover?
AGOSTI'S MOVING AND STORAGE
5311 SYLMAR AVE
SHERMAN OAKS, CA 91401
Phone: (818) 906-2082

Are you moving from within CA to within CA? They're only authorized for intrastate moves.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:11 pm

farrah7031 wrote:Is this the mover?
AGOSTI'S MOVING AND STORAGE
5311 SYLMAR AVE
SHERMAN OAKS, CA 91401
Phone: (818) 906-2082

Are you moving from within CA to within CA? They're only authorized for intrastate moves.

Yes, that's the mover. And, yes, we're moving within CA.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:05 am

You might want to call the CPUC and see if they have any complaints.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:08 am

Sorry, they actually CAN'T move you. Thier CPUC permit is suspended. I don't know for what reason.

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/tmis/det_MTR0189891.htm

bigmike

Postby bigmike » Sat May 12, 2012 6:34 pm

I used Agosti in the past and found out after the fact that the reason his BBB rating remains high is because he acts as a broker, not as a mover. Thus, any issues that end up being brought against him dismissed because he argues that he isn't the actual mover. Beware of this company.

The first warning flag came when after paying the first half of the move, a company called Dolphin movers showed up to do the move. He called me up and said that I shouldn't be alarmed with the name on the truck. That he had just bought the truck and hadn't had time to repaint it. I then talked with the movers and they then confirmed that they were in fact working for Dolphin movers and that Agosti often brokered out business to them.

I would have been fine with that as long as he held to his promises, but in the end, he overcharged me and stated that I had to pay before he would let the trucks get unloaded.

The guy is slick and uses every trick in the book to hide his deceit.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 12, 2012 11:16 pm

When was your move?

Return to “Open Community”