Update on move with Corrigan/United (Detroit to Raleigh)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dave_261

Update on move with Corrigan/United (Detroit to Raleigh)

Postby dave_261 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:56 am

Just completed our move with Corrigan and I wanted to give an overview for others who might be looking down the road, as well as some random thoughts on my experience.

Overall, I'd give the entire move an 8 out of 10. Breaking things down by category...

- Pre-move/Estimate: We originally had been directed to Corrigan (actually East End Moving in Rochester, NY) through Consumers Relocation, who is the moving broker of choice for AAA. I had very good dealings with the East End rep, as well as the local Corrigan estimator that came to the house. As it happened, my company (now former company) had a corporate contract with United, so that was the contract we used for the move.

- Approaching the move: I had generally good contact with the move coordinators. Our coordinator abruptly left East End shortly before the move, but a couple other people picked up the slack. The major shortfall here, if you can call it that, was that we didn't have any details on the loading of the truck until Monday at 5:30pm, and our move was on Tuesday. Each time I called in the days leading up to the move, they told me they had no info and to call back a bit later. I guess due to this being the busiest travel time of the year, they literally had no driver available, and finally found someone at the last minute to handle the job.

- Packing Day: We used Corrigan to pack about 75% of our belongings. They were on time and friendly. However, of the 3 packers, we noticed very different packing styles. One packer went so far as to wrap a small plastic container of fish food in paper, while another crammed somewhat fragile items into a box with no wrapping. There were a few things that I thought should be packed (and our driver ultimately agreed) that they packers said would just be wrapped on the truck.

- Loading Day: The driver and 3 helpers showed up right on time. Even w/ the near record heat, they worked at an efficient pace and loaded our 10,000 lbs. in about 7 hours.

- Unloading: We lucked out in that our load came at the very early end of our spread, only 4 days total from Detroit to Raleigh. This time, it was just the driver and 2 helpers, as one of the local help canceled at the last minute, and the supposed replacement never showed up.

Although we still have some boxes to go through, other than some very minor chips and bruises, and a few paint scratches on the wall, everything appears to be intact.

From a billing standpoint, the move came in at just over 10,000 lbs, a bit under the 11,500 estimate. However, Corrigan already presented me the final invoice showing a very hefty credit I'll be receiving.

If I had to move again, I would certainly consider, and probably use, Corrigan and United.

Diane

Re: Update on move with Corrigan/United (Detroit to Raleigh)

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:37 pm

Thanks for this report. For those coming along afterward, these are your prior threads so they can see how the whole move evolved:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8705
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8844
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9469

For Dave, I have a couple of questions:

1. How did East End in Rochester, NY, get into it? Are they the booking agent that works with Consumers Relocation? (Maybe an industry person can tell me.) For some reason, I'm under the impression that they are owned by Corrigan - does anyone know whether that's true?

2. I thought you said, Dave, that under your employer's contract with Corrigan you could get only a Binding estimate. How is it that your cost went down with the lower weight?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:13 pm

Diane wrote:
1. How did East End in Rochester, NY, get into it? Are they the booking agent that works with Consumers Relocation? (Maybe an industry person can tell me.) For some reason, I'm under the impression that they are owned by Corrigan - does anyone know whether that's true?

2. I thought you said, Dave, that under your employer's contract with Corrigan you could get only a Binding estimate. How is it that your cost went down with the lower weight?

Diane-

For 1, yes, I was originally directed to them via Consumer's Relocation.
For 2, I was mistaken that the corporate estimate was binding, as I misinterpreted the estimate I received. Worked for me, as the final tally was much lower.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks, Dave. This is our second very good report on a move with Corrigan.

Return to “Open Community”