Prager Experience A+ 5 Star

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
chitoboston

Prager Experience A+ 5 Star

Postby chitoboston » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:39 am

This is going to be a long but if you don't want to read it all, the message is: the prager move went great. I had the same driver from pickup to delivery, and nothing broke or was lost. They were a little more expensive than the other guys but worth it to me. My delivery window was also very short which saved a lot of hotel money. I would recommend them to anyone. Also, thanks to everyone for your help & advice on here.

-----Big review / summary---

Here's my update. I survived! You have all been great. Thanks to many people for all of the advice over the last month. Because of all of you, I have not lost a single belonging, I packed my boxes "for a 10 foot drop" and NOTHING broke...not a single thing. Not a martini glass, not a frame, not a thin ceramic serivng dish - NOTHING. (Sorry I can't get over it yet). I wish I could take pictures of my kitchen cabinets for you to see this miracle. Well, everything was wrapped in bubble, then paper, then peanuts - so I guess it couldn't really break. My furniture is 100% as good as when it left Chicago. It was all taken care of very well. I sent some IKEA stuff in flat packs and that was all fine too.

So, everything went extremely well on the Prager side. The city and the building were anohter story, as they decided to pave the road in front of my loading dock at the exact hour my movers arrived...and though my bulding new (the signs were up for 4 days) they failed to inform me or the other tenant moving in at that time. Then, they refused to let us go in the front door. So, my Prager diver and his crew (all very very nice / professional - Rainbow movers out of franklin, ma - I would recommend them based on the crew I had) had to do this insane walk across one unpaved road with sewer caps sticking up from the street and wheel all my stuff further than was ever planned. They did not charge me extra, though they should have. I spent like 45 minutes talking to the cop who assured me my movers could park right by the loading dock (so they could be close - but not inside cuz of the paving) but when my driver got there, there was a different cop who the driver ran into... so he had to park way too far away.

ANYWAY, that insanity aside, I will just review why I picked them & why they worked very well for me so other people can use this info in the future. #1 They had virtually no "spread" on delivery. At the time of sale, I was given a 5 day spread which was narrowed to 1 day at pickup. The SAME driver who I met at my apartment in Chicago hauled everything here. He supervised two shuttles, and thus was responsible for the quality control of the whole job. These two reasons were why I paid the markup for the prager move. The price was $4200 for 4000 lbs going 1000 miles. I also had two shuttles. My other quotes were around 36-3800 with free boxes and packing of 5-6 mirror cartons. I paid very low prices for Prager's boxes, but this was still a cost. I just asked for help with unpacking of the mirror cartons that someone else packed at origin. This ended up being cheaper than Beltman's $321 but not by much, and it wasn't insured the way I did it. Beltman gave me a 14 day spread and said Prager was over-selling me on the importance of "self hauling" and it probably wouldn't happen anyway. Well, it did - and I think it made a big difference. Even my driver said he didn't want to hand it to someone else at destination (when I was posting about elevator reservation time issues) specifically because he wanted to supervise it from beginning to end. So, Beltmann was out because the spread was too big and the coordinator was very curt and sort of b#tchy on the phone. The Prager coordinator answered my questions 100% of the time and every single employee I talked to there was very nice. I heard bad things about Reebie locally, and I cancelled them 30 days prior to the move, and I got a marginally rude email from the sales rep... despite giving them 30 days notice (people on here said not to worry... 30 days is a lot). So, good riddance to them. Why would someone send a rude email like that if I obviously have friends in Chicago who I am NOT going to recommend them to now? (let alone this website...)

I should note that I confirmed the Prager move 2-3 weeks in advance. I almost moved the pickup date 1 week prior to pickup, and this would've caused me to get a non-Prager NAVL driver with a 10 day spread... so I am not exactly sure how they all work there, but at least in my case (busy season, last minute change) they might not haul everything themselves.

So, everything is fine. I am just still waiting for the final weight... I thought I was supposed to actually go to the truck and read the meter myself but there was no opportunity for that. I am supposed to get some money back but we'll see. They couldn't find my paperwork when I called, but I am sure it will work out. They also accidently sent me all used boxes when I bought new ones... but then they sent out all new ones - no delivery charge obviously. Actually, I needed a lot of boxes so the used ones were helpful.

One thing that is annoying me is that I cannot figure out the tipping situation. Both pick up and delivery were around 2 hours (slightly less). The crews were 4 people, though I didn't realize the first crew had 4. I gave $120 at pickup and $130 at delivery + $50 extra for helping unpack the mirror cartons. Was that too much / not enough / just right? If you were the driver...what would u say? I gave them all gatorade and water too at both ends (which required me to go to the grocery store at 11 PM the night before just for that). I know tipping is discussed endlessly on here (i posted the answer the erik's tipping question), so sorry to bring it up again. I should probably have tipped more at destination cuz of the insane road issues, but I was already up to $300 in "side cash" and I just thought that was enough already.

Aright, thanks again everyone. I am so happy to report such as SUCCESS STORY!

Diane

Re: Prager Experience A+ 5 Star

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:31 am

Hi again - I'm very, very happy to read this . . . but remember, you promised to tell us your driver's name if you had a good move! So??? Was it George, by chance?

chitoboston

Postby chitoboston » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:15 am

Thanks Diane... yeah nobody could be happier than me after all this. Well, aside from the surprise street paving....can you honestly believe that one?? I planned everything you could imagine - BUT THAT!?

I forgot to ask him if it was ok to give out his name online. It was a busy day. Well, anyway, his first name is John... hopefully he wouldn't mind that... he did an awesome job so I'd recommend him! Plus, I noticed that both crews were very good - better than any local crew that I ever worked with... very corteous & efficient. I don't know how the whole thing works but I assume he picks the crew that he wants? Anyway, when I call them to find out the final weight, I'll ask about the name thing. I'm not sure if they'll think I'm crazy or be happy that I'm doing this... but we'll see.

I also had a good car moving experience with Artie's towing from Elgin, IL - again all very nice people & on time & no problems... I can post that in the car section. I need to find the appropriate thread.

Looks like I'm ruining the "scam" part of the site... but you like happy stories too, right? :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:14 am

Hi - we LOVE the happy stories and Tim has always said that he looks forward to the day when there is such good legislation governing the moving industry that this website won't be needed at all.

Well, your driver was NAVL Vanguard which means that he is the best of the best. As I said before, I don't think the companies mind if people publicize the names as long as the drivers are good. My summary post is full of drivers' names posted by happy customers. You've added to our knowledge base on Reebie and Beltmann as well as Prager and I thank you. I was kind of surprised that Beltmann would knock its fellow NAVL agent Prager, but oh well.

Yes, I couldn't get over the street paving incident, after all you went through to try to make it easy on the driver . . . and then the cop that you spent time chatting with disappearing at the crucial moment!

Here are your prior threads so people can see the runup to this post:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8570
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8734
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8911
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8946
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9520

You are a great example, by the way, of a customer NOT opting for the absolute least expensive company and of being savvy enough to look for the important things, including knowledgeable, courteous customer service people and a high probability of a self-haul. (Prager is said to self-haul 85% of its shipments.)

I'm really glad that it all worked out! :D

Return to “Open Community”