Bekins Van Lines, anyone familiar?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Dampiera

Bekins Van Lines, anyone familiar?

Postby Dampiera » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:37 pm

The one that I am getting a quote from is E. E. Ward Moving and Storage company. The DOT# is 76029. They did an "in home" estimate today and are preparing a GNTE for me. BBB says they only have one complaint within the last 36 months. Has anyone had any experience with these guys? Thanks :)

farrah7031

Re: Bekins Van Lines, anyone familiar?

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Bekins isn't a very well regarded major vanline.

I see you're in Columbus. Check out Diane's post of OH movers at:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7655#57655

How much are you moving? Where are you moving to?

Dampiera

Postby Dampiera » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:01 pm

We are moving to Dearborn, MI. I'm only considering companies that will do a direct move on a straight truck. It is only a 191 mile trip one way so there's no reason in the world for a company to return to their warehouse in between or to put it on a rig with others. We are moving around 7000lbs, which is a 3 bedroom townhouse with a basement. We have a LOT of things, as we are both artists. I have checked out the OH list but the Bekins agent that I talked to is not listed there. Neither is the Allied Van Lines agent, Mathis Moving and Storage (DOT:076235) that I am considering. Do you know or has anyone heard anything about either of them? Thanks for your help!

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Your move should/must be done in two days. 7000# in a townhouse to a house at destination would take 8 hours to move out/in plus 4 hours drive to destination and 4 hours back.
Total of 16 hours for the job, well beyond any reasonable person's expectation of service in one day.

Dampiera

Postby Dampiera » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:55 pm

Oh yes, yes. I don't expect it to be done in one day. One company promised that and I am no longer considering them for that reason. I don't want ANYONE to work that long and hard in one day. Not only that, but I don't want anyone who HAS been to be a) moving my items or b) driving home after doing it. That's just unsafe. No, I am expecting a two day move. I'm just also not taking the chance of losing my things by letting them take them back to their warehouse (in the opposite direction in one case mind you) when it's not necessary. Thank you for pointing this out though, as many people might think that a one day move is a good idea.

See, I don't want to look/sound like an easy mark, but my husband's company is paying for this. Price is my second concern, whereas I realize it is often a consumer's primary concern. My primary concern is a smooth move with as little broken/missing as possible. When this started I was so psyched that we wouldn't have to move ourselves. Now I'm soooooo wishing that we were! Horror stories just abound in this industry don't they!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:02 pm

"PMueller" who is a volunteer here works for Allied and could look up Mathis' quality ratings for you if you send her a PM. I am doubtful about E.E. Ward.

I would suggest a slightly different strategy:- call DMS and Corrigan in the Detroit area and ask whether they would be interested in doing the move. They are excellent companies and they might be able to pick you up after making a delivery in your area of OH.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Dampiera

Postby Dampiera » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:25 pm

Diane,

Thanks, I'll contact the two Detroit companies tomorrow. Incidentally, here is more info that I have on E E Ward: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:a7D ... v/cgi-bin/
query/z%3Fr108:S29AP3-0023:+Bekins+%22E+E+Ward%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=10&client=firefox-a

They are also a recipient of something called the "Angie's Award" from "Angie's List" for 2002 and 2003. I visited that site at www.angieslist.com and it is a consumer based site that rates local businesses. There is a membership fee for the site so I haven't checked it out yet.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:14 am

Yes, I saw that. Another company I looked at today also got one of those Angie's List awards, so I'm not sure how exclusive the club is. :wink:

"Leaders [Moving] has more positive feedback than virtually any other member on Angie's List, a private consumers watchdog group that independently rates service companies."

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:31 am

Diane wrote:I would suggest a slightly different strategy:- call DMS and Corrigan in the Detroit area and ask whether they would be interested in doing the move. They are excellent companies and they might be able to pick you up after making a delivery in your area of OH.

The Corrigan driver who did our recent move mention he worked out of the Findlay, OH office, which isn't all that far from Columbus.
"Never use the words 'only' and 'killed' in the same sentence." --Prof. Robert Harmon, Hillsdale College

Dampiera

Postby Dampiera » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:35 am

Yes, Findlay is only an hour and a half from Columbus. In fact, it is the halfway point between Columbus and Dearborn! This is looking promising, thanks!

Dampiera

Postby Dampiera » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:29 am

(also posted with it's own topic for anyone who is currently looking at movers in OH and doesn't know to do a search)

DOT# is 76029

Well, my move is complete. I've been waiting to post this until our broken table's repair is completed, but I'm going to just follow up with that info later instead. So here it is:

Overall the moving team was adequate. The driver was great, the other guys were so-so. One of the other guys apparently couldn't read because we clearly labeled the boxes on all four sides and yet some of our second floor "master bedroom" boxes went to the basement. The unloading job wasn't the best. I wish that I had taken a picture of the boxes stacked in our basement because they were haphazardly placed with heavy ones atop light ones etc. The movers were late delivering, but only by about a half hour.

Regarding our table, I'm a little miffed about that because they loaded it incorrectly. Everyone knows that a table should be moved upside down on a pad. Instead they loaded my pedestal table with it's 4 legs/feed on the floor. Consequently all 4 legs/feet broke off. the sales guy told me that I didn't need insurance when I asked about it. Fortunately I pressed the issue because no way was I moving without it. As a result, my kitchenette table is being repaired at no cost to me. Of course it is a $150 table and the insurance cost $400. Had my husband's company not paid for the move and insurance I would have had an entirely different outlook on this move.

So while there was no scam, no one tried to get more money out of us, had I paid for this personally I would not have been satisfied. Oh, and for the record, we moved on August 26th and today is October 13th and our table is still waiting for repair. They had a guy who does carpentry "on the side" come and get the legs and he says he is going to make new ones. I feel that they should have just paid a furniture repair shop to come out and do it, but it's their choice I suppose. The table wasn't used all that much anyway, so it's not TOO inconvenient.

The sales agent and sales manager have been very nice throughout. I have no complaints in those areas at all. In fact, the sales agent that did our estimate delivered boxes to us and always responded in a timely manner when I called. He even showed up on moving day, which was good because the truck that was used did not have the Bekins logo on it anywhere. Had he not come I would have been very upset.

For the record, both Diane and Farah7031 advised against using this agent. They did so based on a little info, but with what seemed to be a general feeling about Bekins as a company. I made the choice to go ahead, "taking one for the team" so to speak. I figured that since the company paid for it and we were insured, at least I could report back with info on an agent that no one had reported on thus far. So if anyone has any questions about my move with this Bekins agent please feel free to ask.

Like I said, I will be following up on the table repair issue. Have a great day everyone!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:07 am

I'm so glad it turned out ok! Thanks for reporting back. Good Luck on the table.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:34 pm

Thanks for this review, which I've added to my Superlist linked to below. I think your comment says a lot: ". . . while there was no scam, no one tried to get more money out of us, had I paid for this personally I would not have been satisfied." People can tolerate a lot when a move is cheap or free. I too hope that the table repair goes OK. Someone posted in the past that Bekins has a reputation for not wanting to pay professionals to do repairs.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Dampiera

Postby Dampiera » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:04 pm

Yes, it's true that when you aren't paying you will put up with a lot more. I was just told by the Sales Manager, Greg, that they are unable to find the parts needed to repair my table. They want to pay us for it instead, but I don't know how much it cost. Does anyone know what their responsibility is in this area? Do I need to find another just like it and have them pay that amount? I'm a little lost in this. I don't want any extra money out of this, I just honestly want my table back.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:01 pm

The company has the right to fix or repair, if it cant be fixed or repaired they will replace the table at current market value.

Its the shippers responsibility to either (A) go out and buy a table similar and supply a receipt with the claim, or (B) go out and find a matching table and report back as to what you wish to claim for that table cost wise.

I have seen companies take the word of the shipper and send them checks and I have seen others wait for a receipt.

So yes, its your responsibility and they are going by the book thus far. Which is a good thing.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”