Sprint Van Lines - Rockville

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
moved101

Sprint Van Lines - Rockville

Postby moved101 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:24 pm

I would urge people not to use this company. I just completed my move with them and it was a horrible, stressful experience that I don't wish upon anyone. They are perfectly nice until they have the first installment of your payment then they are rude and unhelpful. I should also note that they insist on using their packing materials for certain items or they won't take them. The cost of these materials are outrageous and they additionally charge an exorbidant "packing charge." They claimed these prices are listed on the website so I have no cause to complain, but it is not.
Simon, who you will deal with, would not tell me when the movers would arrive on the other end. I did not know when my things were arriving until they called me to say they would be there in ONE HOUR!!! I told them this was unacceptable and could not meet them until later as I was 3 hours away since no one called to tell me when they were coming. Simon is incredible rude and demeaning.
Finally something Sprint does not tell you is that they pass your stuff off to other movers to deliver it. A bunch of men who did not work for Sprint arrived in a RENTAL truck and insisted I pay them what was owed before they would unload my stuff. I argued that this was not in my Sprint contract, which it was not, but they said it was their policy and would drive away with my stuff if I did not pay up front.
Use this company at your own risk -- I would never in a million years recommend them to anyone.

Diane

Re: Sprint Van Lines - Rockville

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi - you seem to be posting from Chicago. Did you actually sign up with Sprint to move you from MD to Chicago? How long did it take your things to arrive? How much more than the quoted price did they charge?

I am very interested in your post because I have been thinking about listing them as an "AVOID" company as opposed to a "BE CAUTIOUS" company. Your post could swing them over to an "AVOID" in my mind.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

JustMovedLocal

Postby JustMovedLocal » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:37 am

I think I had better post this because I don't see many reviews for these guys. I just used them to do a local move inside of Virginia on the 14th and they were pretty good. I've never used movers before so I'm coming from an inexperienced perspective but my wife and I were really pleased with the whole thing.

I was in a hurry because I had already had two other moving companies come out to do estimates and they came out way too high. So I called Sprint with only 3 days till my move. On the phone I told them I had only a few pieces of large furniture that I needed help moving and they quoted me at $460.

I tried to move all my other boxes myself but I ran out of time and energy by moving day. So, when the Sprint movers arrived (a half hour early) I asked them to move all my boxes in addition to all the furniture I had already declared. They took only one hour longer at $115 per hour. So now we were up to $575.

At my new home in the garage there were about 30 boxes I had moved by myself a week prior. When we got to my new home I asked them to move them all up 3 flights of stairs in addition to everything else they had already moved. So that took another hour. Now we're up to $690.

They charged me $60.75 total for all the extra supplies (boxes, extra tape, etc) that they used to wrap my TVs and computers monitors and electronics and one glass dinning table top. Now, I had my car outside so I could have just packed it myself and driven it over to the new house later. We had the choice to pay them to do this or not and my wife and I thought the price was reasonable so we chose to have them do all the wrapping with their boxes and whatnot. So that put us up to the final total of $750.

The way we felt was that they pulled -no- surprises on us. No surprise charges. Everything was up front and on paper. -We- were the ones that pulled surprises on -them-. We added about 100 extra items total by the time the move was over. At the end I went out and got them lunch and gave them each (3 guys) $40 tip for working fast and not breaking anything.

I can't think of anything to complain about. I have this huge full size arcade machine that probably weighs about 400lbs. This thing is -heavy- and its huge. They made a couple small dents in the walls of my staircase with it but its 3 flights up, each of which are divided in half by landings and turns, so its more like 6 half-flights. My wife and I saw how tight the space was and finally told them it was okay if they accidentally scratched the walls here or there. I don't know how you can move something that huge without touching the walls anyway. I also checked to make sure they were all full-time employees of Sprint. The only other thing is that they started moving things at the beginning before I got finished talking with them about the additional boxes so we got nervous at first. After that, though, they were totally up front with prices before moving or doing any additional things. They even had us sign before each additional task like the extra boxes in the garage and so forth.

So anyway, maybe this means they're at least good enough for local moves. I don't know, but they let me use my credit card for everything so I don't know how you can get scammed. If you're being scammed wouldn't the scammer ask you for a certified check or money order or cash or something? With credit cards can't you just call up the card company stop payment if you've been scammed?

I think these guys were alright for my local move.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:17 am

OK, I am going to leave them as a "BE CAUTIOUS" company. With regard to the first poster complaining about them, I did notice that Sprint lists the costs for each type of material and packing labor on its website, so that much is true.

Return to “Open Community”