Milwaukee, WI to Portland, OR: a successful move!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Gone West

Milwaukee, WI to Portland, OR: a successful move!

Postby Gone West » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:09 pm

I just wanted to report back on how my move went recently from Milwaukee to Portland. I followed the many tips on this board and want to report a successful and pretty stress free cross country move! After doing three moves previously through my former company's relocation department (really didn't have to do much), I was recently in the position to manage my own relocation this time around. I ended up contracting with Coakley Brothers/Allied Vanlines. We ended up having to do about three and a half months of storage with Coakley, also. At the recommendation of this board, I signed a "not to exceed" contract which is known as a guaranteed price pledge with Allied. I negotiated a pretty good storage rate on top of the contract, having toured the storage warehouse before signing the contract. Well, the packing and loading crews was excellent. I literally had one tiny nick on a wall, which they told me about, with the removal of a ton of stuff from a three story house. On the departure end, everything went off like clock work. On delivery day, the truck was a few hours late because of a dead battery, but I was given hourly updates by the driver. When the truck arrived at 11:30am, the driver arranged for extra labor for unloading. Again, this crew was excellent. The entire truck was unloaded and our furniture was setup by 6pm. These guys kicked "you know what"! I can't say anymore about how the folks at Coakley and Blue Bird (Vancouver, WA) do there business. On top of all of this, after 3.5 months of storage and double handling of all of our goods, 99.9% of our goods arrived in the condition they left our previous house. That was awesome!

As far as the contract went, the estimated weight of the load was 20,000lbs and the load was weighed at 19,600lbs. The packing supplies charges did not go over the estimate, even though Coakley had to add a crate for my 52" LCD TV. I even went 2 weeks over on my storage and they didn't charge me for it. So, bottom-line, I had surprises in this move (I wish I could say the same thing about my experience of having a new house built!!!!). We used United Van Lines for our two previous moves and had equally good experiences with both of those local agents.

Now I know that most people come to this board to report bad experiences or to look for advice on how to handle a local or interstate move. I am definitely glad I used the advice on this board for this latest and hopefully last move. Coakley was not the cheapest mover I got quotes from and I almost chose United again, but the storage charges were the kicker. I was also impressed with Atlas and Mayflower. As I depart the board, all I can say is that for cross country moves, stick with the big national movers. Yes, you may be able to find some good independents, but why take the risk. Good day and thanks again for the invaluable service that this board provides. I've steered a number of people your way.

Sincerely,

Gone West

Diane

Re: Milwaukee, WI to Portland, OR: a successful move!

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:10 am

Thanks for this good report on Coakley (Allied), which I'll add to my summary post linked to below. I notice that you also liked Barrett (United), which you had used for a previous move. This is your prior thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7608
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Gone West

Postby Gone West » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 pm

Just to clarify, Coakley stored my goods and was the hauler from Milwaukee to Portland. Blue Bird provided labor on the destination end. Thanks!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:34 pm

Gone West - I'm glad Allied serviced you well for this relocation. This is good to hear and I know Diane appreciates the feedback for her summaries.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Gone West - thanks for clarifying. I had thought that Blue Bird was the hauler but I'll change this in my summary post. Since I understand that Coakley has quality scores in the "Excellent" range (4.45) and you said they had been in business longer than almost every other mover in Wisconsin, it's not surprising that they did a good job for you.

Return to “Open Community”