Move from Durham, NC to Jersey City, NJ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rishigupta

Move from Durham, NC to Jersey City, NJ

Postby rishigupta » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:20 pm

After having had our stuff held hostage for 1 month during our move from New York to San Diego in 2004, my wife and I were extremely cautious with selecting the right mover this time around.

We needed to move from Durham, NC to Jersey City, NJ. I spent a lot of time reading through various posts on this website to find myself a reliable mover. Thanks to movingscam, we got a bunch of reliable moving company names. We had a one-bedroom apartment, with not a whole bunch of furniture.

These are the companies that we called -

1) Security Relocation Group –This was the first company we called. Michael was extremely diligent in spending time with me explaining various aspects of my quote. Michael quoted me $1,717 under the APP. He also told me that my stuff could take up to 2-3 weeks to reach me.

2) Excel Moving and Storage – These guys gave us a quote of $1,650 under a GPP with a 4 day window.

3) Armstrong- The quote we got from them was approximately $2100 and the lady we dealt with was extremely unprofessional.

Although, Michael’s quote was slightly higher than the quote we received from Excel Moving and Storage, we were going to have Michael do our move as he seemed trustworthy and had spent over an hour taking the time to go through everything with me.

However, I tried calling Michael and also sent him an email to follow up with him. No reply. What happened Micheal?

Therefore, I decided to go with Excel Moving and Storage. Best decision I ever made. My move co-coordinator was a lady called Laura and my move was handled by Josh.

All my things were nicely packed and they delivered my things on time within the 4 day window that was promised. Nothing was broken and all the people I dealt with were courteous and professional and returned our calls when we left them messages!

So if you are moving out of the Raleigh-Durham area, we would strongly recommend moving with Excel Moving and Storage. Thank you movingscam for helping me find this company.

Rishi Gupta

Michael

Re: Move from Durham, NC to Jersey City, NJ

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:40 pm

rishi,

Glad your move went well. I no longer work at Security, havent since July.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Just to make sure, this was Excel Moving & Storage, the Allied agent in NC, rather than the Excel Moving & Storage from NYC?

rishigupta

Postby rishigupta » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:21 pm

Yes, they were based in NC.

Diane

Re: *Move from Durham, NC to Jersey City, NJ

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks for this good review and I'll add it to my summary post on NC. What was wrong with the Armstrong sales rep?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

rishigupta

Re: *Move from Durham, NC to Jersey City, NJ

Postby rishigupta » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:01 pm

She was in a huge hurry when she came over to give me a quote. Didn't answer all my questions.

Seemed to me like she felt that she was doing me a favor and she was not friendly at all.

I'm not sayiing that I would avoid the company, I just didn't like the lady I was dealing with.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:13 pm

I talked with the salesperson from Armstrong on this particular order to get some feedback on it.

This customer originally selected Armstrong to do their move but his delivery schedule couldnt be met as he could only take it on a few particular days between a very specific time.

Maybe this customer mistook the salespersons honesty as unfriendlyness.

She did not want to set unrealistic expectations. Sometimes a company can meet time specific delivery dates, sometimes they cant.

(yes, i work for armstrong.)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:32 pm

OK, I modified my posting to reflect your comment as well as the customer's.

Just as an aside, and I don't mean to imply that this has any relevance to this particular situation because I know nothing about it, I have noticed in following this messageboard for more than three years that customers are sometimes sensitive to being slighted because of their ethnicity. Most of the time this feeling on the customer's part is probably not justified but sometimes it is. For example, one customer sent me a PM saying that the sales rep (for another company in a different part of the U.S. - not Armstrong) left the estimate on the floor rather than put it into her hand and also refused to take his shoes off inside her home when requested to do so. Again, I am not saying that this has any relevance at all to the present situation, but just making a general observation about one aspect of the interaction between customers and sales reps.

av8rjudy

Postby av8rjudy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:40 pm

I used Exel (Allied) out of Raleigh to move me from NJ - NC in December. Stefan was the head mover/driver. I HIGHLY recommend them :lol:

Return to “Open Community”