VERY LATE delivery, with horrible compensation. Ugh...

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
zell777

VERY LATE delivery, with horrible compensation. Ugh...

Postby zell777 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:30 pm

I just had a move from OH to CA, booking with The Moving Experts Inc. who use National Movers Inc. as their dispatch.

They picked up the goods on August 1st, and they claim they take from 10 to 14 business days for delivery, so so far they are a WHOLE WEEK LATE already.

On the 10th business day I started checking on the delivery, and they kept promising I'd get a call back, saying that the goods were on their way already but they would need to call back later. I never got the calls back, so I had to keep calling again and again. On the 14th (last) day, they finally acknowledged that they were late, and told me they would give me a call on the weekend (after 5 days) to let me know when to expect the delivery. They also assured me that the goods were on the way so it shouldn't take much longer.

That weekend they didn't call, so I called them. They said that the goods just left so it would take about a week for delivery from that point. So they obviously have been lying all this time... And I don't even know if my stuff is going to get here by this weekend or not like they promised, since they just shipped it from Chicago to CA.

That would make at least 2 weeks late... maybe more. They offered me $15 per day as compensation, which is not something in the contract but as a personal apology. I've spent hundreds already buying new things that I needed right away, plus all the hassle and living in an empty apartment for 2 whole weeks.

What do you do in a case like this? They still haven't delivered anything. Should I refuse to sign papers and make the payment on delivery? Would they drop off my goods if I do that? I am so stressed out about it ;[

MusicMom

Re: VERY LATE delivery, with horrible compensation. Ugh...

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:57 pm

Any way you can get them to put that $15 thing into writing?

At this point, your job is to wait, but not quietly. Repeatedly ask them when delivery will take place, and where your goods are at this very moment. Document dates and times of phone calls and emails, who you talked to, and what was said. You'll want to include this list with any complaints you file. If there are discrepancies in stories, tell each person what the other person said, let them know you are following them closely and are not accepting any lies.

Usually, goods with bad movers are delivered within a month, regardless of what was initially promised to you. My move took 30 days. The worst I've heard of is 8 weeks, but that was extreme.

When the goods do arrive, even if it means everyone is standing around doing nothing while you do this, read every last word ont he front and back of any paperwork handed to you. If they will not open the truck until you sign, write "signed under duress before viewing of goods" next to every signature and initial. Make sure you get actual copies of every paperwork, even if it means keeping their own copy and offering them a photocopy.

Start clicking away with a camera the minute the truck is opened. If there is any damage, you want to be able to show that the handling and packing job is the reason why.

Do not be surprised if they want to deliver at night, for whatever reason, and demand only cash or postal money order. These are common occurrences.

Just to clarify, these are the two companies you are dealing with?

http://www.themovingexpertsinc.com/
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

Be patient, and if you want to talk further, any volunteer can be reached by PM.

zell777

Postby zell777 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:13 pm

Thank you MusicMom. Yes, the two links you posted correspond to the companies I've been dealing with.

I will call today and see if there is a way to get the $15 in writing. I only paid about 30% so far, which is what they require at pickup... I'm trying to find a way to avoid paying the full 70% still pending, since the service is not what was expected or promised... but those $15/day won't really do much.

So normally they can just get away with promising a delivery date and delivering weeks later? Too bad the contract doesn't specify anything for late deliveries... These companies are tricky, it's my first time dealing with them.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:23 pm

Oh I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know exactly how you're feeling because I went through something similar. Please let me know if you need to vent. :)

Another thing is if they stop taking your calls, to call from different phones (they may have caller ID).

I have compiled a list of where to complain:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9256

Looks like they're a member of the BBB. Sometimes they respond faster if you make a complaint to the BBB. They don't tend to like their names tarnished:
http://www.chicago.bbb.org/commonreport ... d=88010316

Unfortunately, you will need to pay them the full amount upon delivery or else they will put your things in storage and will make you pay for that extra expense too. They might even ask you to pay for more than your estimate.

Farrah

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:10 pm

You can try and invoke the 110% law, but it rarely works with movers like these.

zell777

Postby zell777 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:45 pm

As an update:

I got my stuff back, and had to pay in full for it. The only thing they offered me for compensation is a $15 a day, for 21 extra late days after the last possible delivery date.

Up until today, I haven't received the money, and it took quite a while for them to reply back and finally send me the form to get that portion reimbursed, they wouldn't return my calls so I had to call the agent to call them and tell them to call me back all the time.

I haven't heard from them since I sent the forms on October 5th, 20 days ago (at the time, they said I would receive the check within a week or so).

I have to call back tomorrow, I'll update if I have any more news.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:02 pm

http://www.moverescue.com

They normally handle moves in progress, but they might be able to give you some advice.

This is a site started and administered by attorneys from Unigroup
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:53 am

Zell, I just realized I don't know which of the two companies promised you the refund. Whichever it was, send the following letter to them and CC it to the other company, along with the agencies listed. This will serve to tattle on them at the same time, and possibly light a fire under their butts to show that they "really are a good company that cares about their customers".

Try the following letter:

Company President
Company name
Company mailing address (get from FMCSA report)

[date]

Dear __________[company president],

I am writing to request the immediate disbursement of the $____ amount due to me, in compensation for the late delivery. I was very unhappy to be forced to pay in full at delivery, above and beyond my original estimate, so this delay in reimbursement is unacceptable.

Your company sent me ____[type of] forms to fill out prior to the release of funds. I promptly filled out these forms and sent them back to you on ____[date] at the above mailing address.

The agreement, based on a conversation with _______[manager?] was a reimbursement of $15 per day of the delivery's delay, which turned out to be 21 days past the promised delivery date. To date, I have yet to receive these funds from you. Please kindly send the reimbursement in Certified Funds (Certified Check or Money Order), via Certified Mail.

I will be expecting these funds from your company within the week. Thank you for your prompt cooperation in this matter.

Signed,
________

cc. Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration, Department Of Transportation, Better Business Bureau, [other company]

Moving Experts' FMCSA report showing address
National Movers' FMCSA report showing address

If you need help finding information, just let me know.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:10 am

This wont help you now, but will help others reading this. Always ask to speak with the driver who is delivering your goods. He is the only one who can give his estimated day of delivery (unless he gives it to others to give to you). And if they have no driver for you to talk to asume they are lying to you and let them know this.
Ruges

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:41 am

Called today again... They don't pick up the phone very often, but I kept insisting many times until I got through.

I talked to Ted, the owner of National Movers (that is the company that promised the partial refund). He said that he checked with the person he left in charge of sending the check and yes, they forgot to send it out. So supposedly he made sure that this time it was send, and by now it should be on the mail and I should expect it by Monday or Tuesday.

But just like they've promised that the check was in the mail before, several times, actually, I don't think I can trust them to send it this time much more than any of the other times.

There are two possibilities:

a) They are irresponsible, careless and plain dumb
b) They are very smart and know how to steal some money

Whichever is true doesn't matter... National Movers Inc. should be OUT of your choices for moving.

zell777

Postby zell777 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:43 am

By the way, that last post was mine, just to verify it... I forgot to log in and it was sent as a Guest.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:40 am

Send the above letter anyway. Add a paragraph of how the payment was supposedly sent o this date, but it has been promised before (add dates if you can rememebr). Say something like "if the Certified Funds reimbursement, postmarked Oct 27, crosses this letter in the mail, I will send an update to all parties involved".

Return to “Open Community”