Positive Experience w/local move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Booster

Positive Experience w/local move

Postby Booster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:19 pm

Now that the ordeal is finally over, just wanted to share my experience with JK Moving & Storage, which actually went pretty good compared to the dread that went beforehand. My wife and I (and 2 cats) moved yesterday from a 1-bedroom apt. from Alexandria, VA to a 1 bedroom condo in Annandale, VA.

After making the initial contacts to arrange the move at $165/hour w/3 men about a month ago, I was called twice to confirm the move day beforehand. The staff members I emailed were a bit slower than I would have liked at responding, but I may have odd standards as an IT nerd.

We were told to expect the movers from 8-10 AM, and they showed at about 8:30 or so - the driver (who also helped load) was very polite, and got the guys to work immediately after about 15 minutes to get blankets, tape, and carts ready. All the furniture was covered as I expected, and they were very thourough about making sure all the boxes and blankets were taped securely. The loading took about an hour & 1/2, and they got on the way promptly - they got a bit lost making it to the new place, but this was probably just the fault of myself not being familiar with all the street names.

After arriving at the new place, they got to work right away, and I have to say I was very impressed - Aside from the furniture, the crew actually lashed the boxes to their backs to carry them up, as to get to the back door of our new place, they had to go up probably 20-30 feet of inclined sidewalk and then another 10 feet or so of basically bare ground, all in the swampy heat and mosquitoes. Had there been a lot of fragile items, I imagine they would have worked out a cart or something, but as it was the only thing that got damaged was a cheap $20 floor lamp.

About the only gripe I have is that I was told originally that it would be a 4-hour minimum charge with 1 hour of travel being included, but it ended up being a charge for 4 hours of work and 1 hour of travel (when they arrived at 8:30 and finished at about 11:20, travel from old to new place included.). Had I been on a tighter budget, and known exactly when they left their HQ, I probably would be arguing the point....But I was just glad to have it done, especially considering the weather and the crew having to play pack mule. Anyone else considering JK might want to make sure this sort of thing is double-checked, though.

Overall, I would probably try to find one of the other well-rated companies that runs a little cheaper for my next move, but I certainly would not have qualms about using JK again - at no point was I worried about our things or the competence of the crew. Many thanks to everyone that posts here - if not for this site, I probably would have unknowingly gone with one of the scam movers in Maryland.

MusicMom

Re: Positive Experience w/local move

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:40 pm

Thanks for the update. I think this is the first review for a local move by JK.

Think back, who was it that told you the hour travel time was included, and who told you it wasn't? Were you able to get a hold of the first person to talk about it?

Booster

Postby Booster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:01 pm

MusicMom wrote:
Think back, who was it that told you the hour travel time was included, and who told you it wasn't? Were you able to get a hold of the first person to talk about it?

The first person that mentioned it was the sales rep I talked to, and the person that gave the final charge was the driver. I could get ahold of the sales rep again if I needed to - have both email and phone contacts, but i'm not quite annoyed enough to raise a fuss about it at this point :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:20 pm

I checked your prior posts and you did say that Ambassador told you that it would be a four-hour minimum plus an hour of travel time.

Thanks for your report and I'll add it to my summary post on VA moving companies.

Booster

Postby Booster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:08 pm

Umm, as the first post says, I went with JK Moving & Storage, not Ambassador :) Ambassador had a higher rate, plus a bigger minimum.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 pm

No, I know - but I was trying to say that since Ambassador had that policy of tacking the travel time onto the four-hour minimum, maybe that is a common practice among companies in your area. You might have misunderstood what JK said, in other words. I should have explained more clearly what I meant. :wink:

Booster

Postby Booster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:53 pm

Gotcha :)

Yeah, JK seems like the odd one, every other company I called in the NoVA area does seem to have have a policy of tacking on the travel time. I do have to say, even though their rate was higher, the estimator from Ambassador was very congenial and straight-forward.

In JK's case, I have an email explicitly saying what I mentioned earlier - was definately a suprise at first. But...At any rate, i'm just thankful it's done and it'll be at least a few years till the next time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Can you send me a PM with that email in it? The reason I ask is that there has been a question in the past about JK's truthfulness about other things. I don't want to jump to conclusions but would just like to see what they said to you vs. the actual charges.

I'm glad to hear that about Ambassador since they have an excellent reputation among industry people.

Glad to Help

Postby Glad to Help » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:03 pm

JK is one of the finest moving companies in the entire industry.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Possibly it was just a clerical error in figuring the total price.

Return to “Open Community”